Greetings to the Whonix Community!
Thanks to the efforts of the Whonix server administrator (fortasse), the Whonix website now has a new v3 onion address!
This configuration runs alongside the familiar v2 onion address (http://kkkkkkkkkk63ava6.onion), so all Whonix users can continue to access website resources (like documentation and forums) while staying within the Tor network for greater security and privacy.
To access the v3 onion address, Whonix users must install the latest Tor 3.2.9 client in Whonix-Gateway (
sys-whonix) via the stable-proposed-updates repository. All the usual subdomains have been tested to work, including download, forums, wiki and phabricator.
v3 onions provide a number of security benefits, and are reported to make some onion addresses more accessible: [ref]https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/NextGenOnions [/ref]
- Better crypto (replaced SHA1/DH/RSA1024 with SHA3/ed25519/curve25519)
- Improved directory protocol, leaking much less information to directory servers.
- Improved directory protocol, with smaller surface for targeted attacks.
- Better onion address security against impersonation.
- More extensible introduction/rendezvous protocol.
- A cleaner and more modular codebase.
While browsing, users can recognize next generation services by their length – they are always 56 characters long, instead of the “usual” 16 characters found with v2 onion services. Note that Whonix 14 will use v3 onions for the purpose of system updates/upgrades.
A sample of other v3 onion websites currently available include: [ref] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/NextGenOnions [/ref]
- www.riseup.net: http://vww6ybal4bd7szmgncyruucpgfkqahzddi37ktceo3ah7ngmcopnpyyd.onion/
- searx.riseup.net: http://ozmh2zkwx5cjuzopui64csb5ertcooi5vya6c2gm4e3vcvf2c2qvjiyd.onion
- IRC test hub: http://gff4ixq3takworeuhkubzz4xh2ulytoct4xrpazkiykhupalqlo53ryd.onion:6697
- Federalist papers: http://7fa6xlti5joarlmkuhjaifa47ukgcwz6tfndgax45ocyn4rixm632jid.onion/
- Qubes: http://sik5nlgfc5qylnnsr57qrbm64zbdx6t4lreyhpon3ychmxmiem7tioad.onion/
- Gitea: http://lgekyjf5vosmbfvcxzg3g5mmcncmwy4d3nhjrdqqiqzl5nmhqlfemaid.onion/
- patternsinthevoid.net (isis’ blog): http://ffqggapqevcmylx6vtk5357i7bfjwbb6qchds3hlohangshxrwvdduyd.onion
- OnionShare http://lldan5gahapx5k7iafb3s4ikijc4ni7gx5iywdflkba5y2ezyg6sjgyd.onion/
Interested readers who want to learn more about v3 (prop 224) onions, or wish to setup their own prop224 service should review the following resources:
As always, a big thank you to The Tor Project for their hard work on this latest stable release!