[Whonix-devel] Whonix 6 Release Candidate

adrelanos adrelanos at riseup.net
Thu Sep 26 03:49:45 CEST 2013

Please test and leave feedback!

This will probably become the next version of Whonix.

Download links:

*
http://sourceforge.net/projects/whonixdevelopermetafiles/files/whonix-6/Whonix-Gateway-6.ova/download

*
http://sourceforge.net/projects/whonixdevelopermetafiles/files/whonix-6/Whonix-Workstation-6.ova/download

OpenPGP signatures:

*
http://sourceforge.net/projects/whonixdevelopermetafiles/files/whonix-6/Whonix-Gateway-6.ova.asc/download

*
http://sourceforge.net/projects/whonixdevelopermetafiles/files/whonix-6/Whonix-Workstation-6.ova.asc/download

Changelog:

* Tor 0.2.4

* obfs3 installed by default

* higher console resolution 1024x768 (without X)

* The current Tor Browser Bundle (TBB) Alpha, which will soon become
the new TBB stable, will work out of the box in Whonix, even if you
download and install it manually from torproject.org. This is useful
for the case, that the Whonix Tor Browser updater breaks again,
because torproject.org changed something. Tor over Tor will be prevented.

* Graphical Whonix-Gateway. Optional. If you reduce Whonix-Gateway RAM
below 500 MB (this and every other aspect of this feature can be
configured), lets say to 128 MB, you automagically end up with the
usual non-graphical Whonix-Gateway.

* Whonix has now an updater. I can not promise, that you never have to
download a new image, when next stable version of Whonix gets
released, but we are on that way. Interested testers may have to
download a new (test-)image from time to time, since we also need to
test the out of the box user experience.

* First Time Connection Wizard: Whonix now comes with Tor disabled by
default and you have to run the Whonix First Time Connection Wizard,
called whonixsetup. You will get a notice, to do so. This is useful
for users who never want to connect to the public Tor network, because
they want to hide the fact, that they are using Tor. This kind of
users can now more easily set up (private) (obfuscated) bridges before
ever trying to connect to the Tor network.

* Fixed uwt. To do certain tasks such as installing the Adobe Flash
plugin or running update-command-not-found you no longer need to
"chmod -x /usr/local/bin/curl".

* Manpages for scripts, which come with Whonix.

* /etc/whonix.d/ and /etc/whonix_firewall.d/ .d style configuration
folders.

* Deactivate the kgpg tray icon by default (#10), not perfect, but
less confusing, since it will now hopefully start in foreground

* Boot Clock Randomization

* Time Sanity Check

* torbrowser: Downloading Tor Browser and signature from
http://idnxcnkne4qt76tg.onion/dist/torbrowser/linux instead from
https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbrowser for better security when
run inside Whonix. (Not sure if we can keep this, due to upstream
weaknesses with hidden services scaling.)

* optional Time Privacy wrapper

* enable "apparmor=1 security=apparmor" by default (but didn't enable
enforce mode or added any useful profiles)

* moved blog to wordpress.com, better than sourceforge, because
wordpress.com supports SSL, closed #23

Cheers,
adrelanos