[Whonix-devel] torsocks: How to hide 'Unsupported syscall number' messages?

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Wed May 20 14:34:48 CEST 2015

On 20 May (11:51:51), Patrick Schleizer wrote:
> Hi David!
>
> We make heavy use of torsocks in Whonix. For example, apt-get is run
> through torsocks for better stream isolation.
>
> This generated loads of, hundreds of these kinds of messages.
>
> [May 20 11:45:27] WARNING torsocks[2645]: [syscall] Unsupported syscall
> number 224. Denying the call (in tsocks_syscall() at syscall.c:165)
>
> Is there any way to hide those?

I will release a new version in a matter of days that deals with most of
the _non_ dangerous syscalls we've been denying for no good reason.

Unfortunately, how that call is made in the libc, we have to do it on a
whitelist basis and denying the rest.

224 is gettid() on 32 bit and gettime() on 64 bit. I would assume that
your log message here is probably gettid(), it's a syscall that doesn't
have a libc wrapper.

Also, you can silence all debug message with TORSOCKS_LOG_LEVEL=1 env.
variable. To my surprise, logging options are not in the conf file so it
should be at some point! :)

Cheers!
David