[Whonix-devel] [qubes-devel] Re: Circuit isolating proxy?

William Budington bill at eff.org
Mon Dec 12 09:02:42 CET 2016

I wasn't aware of the IsolateClientAddr option within tor.  With the assurance that each source ip will be stream isolated, no `tun2socks` proxy or equivalent is necessary, given that whonix-ws is transparently torified.  For applications that do not require direct tor port access, separating them into their own VM and modifying iptables rules on sys-whonix so that these VMs have no access to the tor ports should work for my intended purpose.

Since the browser is such a large attack surface, for whonix-ws VMs which only use Tor Browser, I wonder if access to the control port could be fully denied?  It seems so.  Since the Tor Launcher isn't actually bootstrapping tor, the control port is only used for the "New Identity" functionality, so you'll lose that.  But if you kill the `socat` process forwarding 9151, the browser seems to work fine.  It seems like the "New Identity" functionality could be implemented on the whonix-gw side: https://blog.torproject.org/category/tags/new-identity

Looks like the Tor Browser use of the control port isn't going away, though.  And in fact may be increasing in the future: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/9675