[Whonix-devel] Overstanding LATEG [was: Persistent Tor start in Tails vs location aware Tor entry guards (LATEG)]

Patrick Schleizer adrelanos at riseup.net
Tue Jan 5 00:33:55 CET 2016

Just to make sure we talk about the same thing.
1) documentation for advanced users in the wiki
2) asking questions in some form of greeter program

Spencer:
>> Patrick Schleizer:
>> https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Tor#Non-Persistent_Entry_Guards
>
> Aside from the 'What are Entry Guards' link not explaining at all what
> an Entry Guard is,

Was the explanation not good or did your browser not get the right
anchor? Anyhow. Just now copied the explanation to the Whonix wiki now.
[Copying stuff is time intensive, because it requires fixing
links/formatting, and attribution/licensing needs to be sorted out.]

> the *concept* of Location Aware Entry Guards seems
> quite simple;

It's certainly not rocket science. In person I perhaps take one or two
minutes to explain it. However, it's too much information for any Tails
Greeter or Whonix Setup Wizard / Anon Connection Wizard or every boot
question.

> it's the opposite of what the other guys are doing.

I not following.

> This, of course, requires an actual explanation of what an Entry Guard
> (and persistence) is, first, as opposed to only contextual scenarios.
>
> And a mention of location awareness; why, how, and so on.
>
> I feel like a link to the clutter (not this [0]) that is Tor
> documentation, requiring a FAQ and all, is not as awesome as what Whonix
> can write;

1) We might do better documenting this for advanced users.

2) I don't think this can be explained in the some sort of greeter
program. It's just too much information. And threat model specific.

"If you fear more, that your adversary hosts evil Tor entry guards and
you want to stick to your existing ones, choose this."

"Otherwise, if you traveled since your last usage, and fear more, that
your adversary tracks you by Tor entry guards, choose this."

Not great. And hard to compress further.

> I hear sajolida is good at this kind of stuff.

How sajolida comes into this?

> I, too, am also here to help :)

Please contribute.

https://whonix.org/wiki/Contribute