[Whonix-devel] convention on listen port local or all network interfaces etc.

Thu Feb 23 03:15:00 CET 2017

Marco d'Itri:
>> So far we at Whonix had discussions with ricochet-im, onionshare,
>> ZeroNet and unMessage. They are all interested to make their
>> applications compatible with Whonix. However, asking each individual
>> project to `/etc/application-specific.d` folder where Whonix then could
>> drop a `/etc/application-specific.d/30_whonix.conf` that says
>> `listen=10.152.152.10` is a lot duplicate effort and not that desirable
>> for these applications because they have not yet any need for
>> `/etc/application-specific.d/`.
> Indeed. This can easily be solved in a general way by implementing
> systemd socket activation in these daemons.
> This way you will be able to drop files in /etc/systemd/system/ to make
> them bind to a specific address or interface.

ricochet-im, onionshare and unMessage aren't daemons. Not comparable to
to daemons like apache that get started by the init system. These are
applications to be started by the user on demand. These are more like
Pidgin / XChat etc. Therefore socket activation may not be the best tool
here?

Best regards,
Patrick