[Whonix-devel] Onionmail in Whonix

bancfc at openmailbox.org bancfc at openmailbox.org
Sat Jan 14 00:53:11 CET 2017

Hi I'm a Whonix dev (anonymity OS) and I am interested in including your
software in our distro.

There are a few changes we'd need before its possible. Please update the
packages for the upcoming Debian stable (Stretch).

When testing Onionmail I noticed it directly appends to /etc/tor/torrc
(in the workstation). This btw is a Debian critical policy bug that
would prevent the package from entering Debian.
Also it tries to use /etc/init.d/tor directly. Instead the proper and
init system agnostic way is to use: service.

All Tor-centric apps like Onionshare and Ricochet IM are now designed to
talk to Tor's python-stem controller and use the Tor ControlPort to
create hidden services, that would make Whonix compatibility a lot
easier.

Our efforts are also focused on bringing a better UX to less technical
people and so we'd like to see Onionmail-wizard updated for our user
base.