[Whonix-devel] [Tails-dev] Tails control port filter proxy in Whonix?

anonym anonym at riseup.net
Thu Jan 19 20:12:00 CET 2017

Patrick Schleizer:
> Noticed one incompatibility.
>
> ZeroNet uses custom code rather than python-stem to talk to Tor control
> protocol. It's line handling works with original Tor, but not with the
> filter.

The filter *should* be able to deal with any client implementation as long as it follow the control-spec, but there can of course be bugs.

> https://github.com/HelloZeroNet/ZeroNet/issues/756
>
> https://github.com/Whonix/control-port-filter-python/blob/master/usr/share/tor-controlport-filter/examples/40_zeronet.yml

Given your error:

    TorManager Tor controller connect error: AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'group' in TorManager.py line 160

which triggers in this part of ZeroNet's src/Tor/TorManager.py:

    [...]
            # Version 0.2.7.5 required because ADD_ONION support
            res_version = self.send("GETINFO version", conn)
            version = re.search('version=([0-9\.]+)', res_version).group(1)
            assert float(version.replace(".", "0", 2)) >= 207.5, "Tor version >=0.2.7.5 required, found: %s" % version

            self.status = u"Connected (%s)" % res_auth
            self.conn = conn
    except Exception, err:
        self.conn = None
        self.status = u"Error (%s)" % err
        self.log.error("Tor controller connect error: %s" % Debug.formatException(err))
    [...]

it seems to me like your filter lacks a rule allowing the "GETINFO version" command.

Cheers!