[Whonix-devel] #19959 [Core Tor/Tor]: have a flag for Tor relay location, if a relay is hosted in a data center, cloud or physically secured

Patrick Schleizer adrelanos at riseup.net
Fri Jun 30 23:05:00 CEST 2017

John M.:
> I'm all for this idea. What's needed for upstream implementation?
> An option could be added to initial startup, or a shell script can
> be made available for download to make the necessary modifications
> on the application level. It sounds like this is a fairly simple
> configuration change/option.
>
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Tor Bug Tracker & Wiki <
> blackhole at torproject.org> wrote:
>
>> #19959: have a flag for Tor relay location, if a relay is hosted
>> in a data center, cloud or physically secured
>> -------------------------------------------------+----------
>> --------------- Reporter:  adrelanos                            |
>> Owner: Type:  enhancement                          |
>> Milestone:  Tor: |  unspecified Component:  Core Tor/Tor
>> |        Version: Severity:  Normal
>> |     Resolution: Keywords:  needs-spec tor-relay directory easy
>> |  Actual Points: Parent ID:
>> |         Points: Reviewer:
>> |        Sponsor:
>> -------------------------------------------------+----------
>> --------------- Changes (by nickm):
>>
>> * keywords:   => needs-spec tor-relay directory easy
>>

>> -- Ticket URL:
>> <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/19959#
>> comment:2> Tor Bug Tracker & Wiki <https://trac.torproject.org/>
>> The Tor Project: anonymity online

[1] I am pretty sure this needs to be properly implemented in C
directly in Tor. Similar to other flags / relay information
voluntarily published by relay operators already implemented.

Probably unlikely that Tor Project will do a hack with a shell script,
which would be messy, given [1].

The discussion should be at the ticket
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/19959 and not on some
random mailing list.