[Whonix-devel] [Oracle VM VirtualBox] #17987: VirtualBox 5.2.18 vulnerable to spectre/meltdown despite microcode being installed

Oracle VM VirtualBox trac at virtualbox.org
Thu Sep 13 19:14:31 CEST 2018

#17987: VirtualBox 5.2.18 vulnerable to spectre/meltdown despite microcode being
installed
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  adrelanos          |        Owner:
     Type:  defect             |       Status:  reopened
Host type:  Linux              |
-------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
Changes (by adrelanos):

  * status:  closed => reopened
  * resolution:  worksforme =>

Comment:

 I hope you don't mind me reopening the ticket but mentioning {{{VBoxManage
 modifyvm "foo" --spec-ctrl on}}} while my bug report already contained
 {{{VBoxManage modifyvm vm-name --spec-ctrl on}}} makes me wonder if you
 might have overlooked that.

 Replying to [comment:1 klaus]:
 > If you want the mitigation to be available in a VM (default is not,
 because it comes at a cost) you can enable it. See the
 https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html,
 > {{{
 > VBoxManage modifyvm "foo" --spec-ctrl on
 > }}}

 My bug report in my post above contains

 {{{
 VBoxManage modifyvm vm-name --spec-ctrl on
 }}}

 So I did enable that setting already and yet {{{sudo spectre-meltdown-
 checker --paranoid ; echo $?}}} exits non-zero and shows "vulnerable". Is
 that expected?

--
Ticket URL: <https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17987#comment:2>
Oracle VM VirtualBox <https://www.virtualbox.org/>