[Whonix-devel] Argon2id Security Margin Calculation

Jean-Philippe Aumasson jeanphilippe.aumasson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 08:58:06 CEST 2018

Hi!

not sure to get the question, I think that if you want to evaluate the risk
against "high-budget" adversaries, you must consider the following
parameters:
- the estimated budget and time of your adversary
- the value of the asset targeted
- the strength of the password
- the Argon2 parameters

In LUKS2 you can afford strong Argon2 parameters, such as the ones you
suggest. If you use a strong passphrase (say of entropy greater than 50)
you'll defeat any realistic attacker :)

It's difficult to realistically estimate the strength/entropy added by the
Argon2 parameters, because hardness depends not only on the iterations
count but also on the cost of memory accesses, which depend on the
hardware. I think that one most qualified person to answer this question is
Solar Designer.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

JP