[Whonix-devel] jitterentropy_rng.ko never loads: jitternentropy-rngd doesn't complain

procmem at riseup.net procmem at riseup.net
Thu Apr 25 17:37:25 CEST 2019

Package: jitterentropy-rngd
Version: 1.0.8-3
Severity: important

Dear Maintainer,

As part of my work on a downstream privacy distro, I tested jitternentropy-rngd while integrating it and discovered the complementing kernel module jitterentropy_rng.ko never loads on boot as it is supposed to when the userspace jitterentropy daemon is installed. As a VM based OS a reliable entropy source that guarantees /dev/urandom is safely seeded is a priority. To test if it works one would see the signs described by the jitter dev Stephan Mueller [0]. I've confirmed that oddly no dmesg messages appear and the userspace service churns along fine despite the module silently never loading. Please try to fix this when possible. I have reported this problem against the kernel package too.

TIA

[0] https://www.whonix.org/pipermail/whonix-devel/2019-April/001365.html
[1] https://www.whonix.org/pipermail/whonix-devel/2019-April/001366.html