[Whonix-devel] How to confirm jitter .ko was loaded

Stephan Mueller smueller at chronox.de
Fri Apr 26 23:16:46 CEST 2019

Am Freitag, 26. April 2019, 20:47:43 CEST schrieb procmem at riseup.net:

Hi,

> > Let us go back to your issue: why do you think you need the jitterentropy
> > RNG in the kernel to begin with?
>
> My purpose is to be 100% sure /dev/urandom was seeded properly from a
> robust entropy source (jitter_entropy.ko's use of CPU timers in this
> case) before users can use any crypto tools that depend on it. AFAIU the
> jitter service makes sure these APIs are blocked until properly seeded
> once at boot then prevents this irritating behavior for those few apps
> that depend on /dev/random.

As I tried to outline in the previous email: the /dev/random or /dev/urandom
will NOT benefit from the in-kernel Jitter RNG. Only the user space
jitterentropy-rngd from user space would inject entropy into /dev/random / /
de/urandom.

Therefore, I do not think that inserting the jitterentropy KO will help you
for your goal.

Ciao
Stephan