[Whonix-devel] Vanguard Plugin Options

procmem at riseup.net procmem at riseup.net
Thu Jan 16 17:01:11 CET 2020

Hi. We are rolling out the vanguard plugin for our users and wanted to
understand some options we can enable.

* In many parts of the Security README setting *circ_max_megabytes* is
recommended. Though it is discouraged for usecases involving Onionshare
and Securedrop which we support. What is a reasonable limit to set? What
happens is the max ceiling gets hit? Does it permanently disrupt the
upload/download?

* "High load onion services may consider using 4 layer2 guards by
changing the *num_layer2_guards* option in the configuration file
<https://github.com/mikeperry-tor/vanguards/blob/master/vanguards-example.conf>,
but going beyond that is not recommended."
Does this benefit clients too? We would like to enable options that
mimic the configuration used by actual high load onion services to
provide them with more cover.