Overview of Libre Software related Mobile Projects
- Security focused Android
- (Being discussed by Tor Project as well: https://blog.torproject.org/mission-improbable-hardening-android-security-and-privacy)
- Using the Tor Project Copperhead version requires patience and technical skills
- Probably not suitable for average daily usage
- Freedom restricted by vendor: root access refused!
- Hardware: Google Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X; customers only: Google Pixel, Pixel XL, HiKey, Hikey 960
- New project in development
- Open source as much as possible
- Story: https://www.indidea.org/gael/blog/leaving-apple-google-eelo-odyssey-part1-mobile-os
- Hardware: LeEco Le2, Xiaomi Mi 5S, (LG G6)
- Hardware: Fairphone 1, Fairphone 2
- Successfully crowdfunded, will be delivered (stage: pre-order)
- PureOS, based on Debian and others
- Hardware: Librem 5
- Previously called Cyanogenmod
- No google services installed by default (good for privacy and security).
- Google services can be optionally installed as an add-on
- Hardware: after market firmware for loads of devices, including Fairphone and OnePlus
- Open platform (OpenPhoenux GTA04) in tradition of Openmoko
- Hardware: Neo900
- Not all Libre Software by default but software modifications permitted
- Hardware that grants users the "right to flash"
- (Root and custom ROM allowed without voiding warranty)
- Hardware: OnePlus 3, 3T, 5, 5T (current models)
- By KDE
- Not security focused at all at this stage?
- Builds based on Kubuntu and Archlinux
- Hardware: Google Nexus 5, 5X
- Very early stage of development
- Linux distro (based on Alpine Linux) on the phone
- Hardware: many devices, including Google Nexus models and Fairphone 2
- Strict Libre Software focus
- No binary blobs
- Hardware: very bad support, mostly older Samsung Galaxy models
- Since the internal WiFi card requires binary blob, external USB WiFi dongle is required
- Apart from the drivers, the OS itself is Libre Software
- Hardware: Fairphone 2, OnePlus One, Nexus 5, BQ Aquaris M10 FHD (tablet)
Impressum | Datenschutz | Haftungsausschluss
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! See Conditions for Contributions to Whonix, then Edit! IP addresses are scrubbed, but editing over Tor is recommended. Edits are held for moderation.