(Redirected from Install)
1. Download for Windows, Mac and Linux
Download both Gateway and Workstation virtual machine images.
|Download (v3 Onion)||Download (v3 Onion)||Yes ||Medium||High |
|OpenPGP Signature||OpenPGP Signature (v3 Onion)||Yes ||-||-|
|Verify the images using the Signing Key||Yes ||-||-|
Verify the Whonix Images
It is important to check the integrity of the downloaded virtual machine images to ensure that neither a man-in-the-middle attack or file corruption occurred (see Download Security).
Warning: Do not continue if verification fails! This risks using infected or erroneous files! The whole point of verification is to confirm file integrity.
Whonix virtual machine images are cryptographically signed by Whonix developer Patrick Schleizer using OpenPGP. 
Otherwise, use the following instructions:
Note: You need to download both Gateway and Workstation virtual machine images.
- Windows , Mac : Download VirtualBox and install.
hosts using something other than Debian:
Install VirtualBox using the usual mechanisms of your Linux distribution.
Note: this applies to Whonix 220.127.116.11.4. Later Whonix versions may use a codename different to
1. On the host.
Open a terminal.
2. Add the current Debian stable backports codename
stretch-backports to Debian apt sources.
sudo su -c "echo -e 'deb http://http.debian.net/debian stretch-backports main contrib' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/backports.list"
sudo apt-get update
4. Install the selected software.
sudo apt-get install virtualbox/stretch-backports linux-headers-$(uname -r)
The procedure is now complete.
On occasion it is necessary to undo this configuration, for example when upgrading from Debian
buster.  To proceed, run.
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/backports.list
For Whonix VirtualBox import instructions, please press on expand on the right.
There are also Video Tutorials.
If you still need help, please check the Support page.
4. Start Whonix
Starting Whonix is simple.
Start VirtualBox -> Double click on the Whonix-Gateway and Whonix-Workstation.
First time user?
Default username: user
Default password: changeme
- For more please press on expand on the right.
- VirtualBox Known Issues
- VirtualBox Troubleshooting
- VirtualBox Guest Additions
- VirtualBox Clipboard Sharing
- VirtualBox Shared Folder
- Security Guide, VirtualBox_Hardening
- VirtualBox Security and Support Status
- Installing Newer Versions of VirtualBox
VirtualBox is a popular virtualizer that can run on top of Windows, Linux and Mac.
A supported platform that can run Whonix. There are also others.
Please press on expand on the right.
Experimental spectre/meltdown defenses
Testers only! For more please press on expand on the right.
- host microcode upgrade
- host kernel upgrade
- VM kernel upgrade
- spectre-meltdown-checker on the host showing "not vulnerable"
- latest VirtualBox version 
- all spectre/meltdown related VirtualBox settings tuned for better security as documented below
VBoxManage modifyvm "Whonix-Gateway" --ibpb-on-vm-entry on VBoxManage modifyvm "Whonix-Workstation" --ibpb-on-vm-entry on VBoxManage modifyvm "Whonix-Gateway" --ibpb-on-vm-exit on VBoxManage modifyvm "Whonix-Workstation" --ibpb-on-vm-exit on VBoxManage modifyvm "Whonix-Gateway" --l1d-flush-on-vm-entry on VBoxManage modifyvm "Whonix-Workstation" --l1d-flush-on-vm-entry on VBoxManage modifyvm "Whonix-Gateway" --l1d-flush-on-sched on VBoxManage modifyvm "Whonix-Workstation" --l1d-flush-on-sched on VBoxManage modifyvm "Whonix-Gateway" --spec-ctrl on VBoxManage modifyvm "Whonix-Workstation" --spec-ctrl on VBoxManage modifyvm "Whonix-Gateway" --nestedpaging off VBoxManage modifyvm "Whonix-Workstation" --nestedpaging off
These steps have to be repeated for every VirtualBox VM (Whonix or non-Whonix) (including multiple and custom VM). Above instructions cover only default VM names Whonix-Gateway and Whonix-Workstation. If you are using Multiple Whonix-Workstations and/or Multiple Whonix-Gateways, you need to repeat these instructions for all custom created VMs as well.
- By using the Tor Browser Bundle (TBB). For an introduction, see Tor Browser. See also Hide Tor and Whonix from your ISP.
- It does not matter if the bulk download is done over an insecure channel if OpenPGP verification is used at the end.
- OpenPGP is a standard for data encryption that provides cryptographic privacy and authentication through the use of keys owned by its users.
This is required since VirtualBox in unavailable in Debian
- This is non-ideal, see next footnote.
- Users should Prefer Packages from Debian Stable Repository, but using backports is better than manual software installation or using third party package managers since this prefers APT. To contain the risk, Non-Qubes-Whonix users might want to consider using Multiple Whonix-Workstations and Qubes-Whonix users might want to consider using Multiple Qubes-Whonix TemplateVMs or Software Installation in a TemplateBasedVM.
- Or alternatively use the .onion mirror.
sudo su -c "echo -e 'deb tor+http://vwakviie2ienjx6t.onion/debian stretch-backports main contrib' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/backports.list"
- Most often this step applies before attempting major Whonix upgrades; upgrade instructions are also made available at that time (see stay tuned).
5.2.18or above required since only that version comes with spectre / meltdown defenses. See https://forums.whonix.org/t/whonix-vulerable-due-to-missing-processor-microcode-packages/5739/22.
- VirtualBox bug report: VirtualBox 5.2.18 vulnerable to spectre/meltdown despite microcode being installed
- VirtualBox forum discussion: VirtualBox 5.2.18 vulnerable to spectre/meltdown despite microcode being installed (#17987)
- Whonix forum discussion: Whonix vulerable due to missing processor microcode packages? spectre / meltdown / retpoline / L1 Terminal Fault (L1TF)
--ibpb-on-vm-[enter|exit] on|off: Enables flushing of the indirect branch prediction buffers on every VM enter or exit respectively. This could be enabled by users overly worried about possible spectre attacks by the VM. Please note that these options may have sever impact on performance.
There is a mistake in VirtualBox manual saying
enterwhich does not work. It's
--l1d-flush-on-vm-enter on|off: Enables flushing of the level 1 data cache on VM enter. See Section 13.4.1, “CVE-2018-3646”.
For users not concerned by this security issue, the default mitigation can be disabled using
VBoxManage modifyvm name --l1d-flush-on-sched off
Since we want to enable the security feature we set
--spec-ctrl on|off: This setting enables/disables exposing speculation control interfaces to the guest, provided they are available on the host. Depending on the host CPU and workload, enabling speculation control may significantly reduce performance.
According to this VirtualBox ticket
--spec-ctrlshould be set to
--nestedpaging on|off: If hardware virtualization is enabled, this additional setting enables or disables the use of the nested paging feature in the processor of your host system; see Section 10.7, “Nested paging and VPIDs” and Section 13.4.1, “CVE-2018-3646”.
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! See Conditions for Contributions to Whonix, then Edit! IP addresses are scrubbed, but editing over Tor is recommended. Edits are held for moderation.