If an error occurs that prevents Whonix ™ from booting, it is possible to try and boot Whonix ™ in recovery mode to fix the problem. It is advisable to learn how to use recovery mode while everything is still functional in case of future issues.
- After powering on a Non-Qubes-Whonix VM, you will see the virtual BIOS for a second, then the grub boot menu. The grub boot menu is easily identified by the first line of text which begins with
- Use the arrow keys to navigate and select
Advanced Options for Whonix GNU/Linux.
- Choose the second option which at the end displays
- Somewhere in the output, a message similar to the following will appear (it might be entangled with other debug output):
Give root password for maintenance (Or press control + d to continue):
- Enter the root password.
- While typing, no asterisk symbols (
*) will appear; the password must be typed "blind". 
- The default keyboard layout will be
en-US. To change this setting, see: Keyboard Layout.
exitto continue booting or
TODO: Explore whether networking is possible and how to transfer files out of the VM.
Unlock User Account: Excessive Wrong Password Entry Attempts
If an error occurs that prevents Whonix ™ from booting, it is possible to chroot into Whonix ™ from a live CD to fix the problem.
In Virtualbox, navigate to the VM storage settings. At the second controller, click the optical disk icon and add the disk image.
In the Motherboard settings, move the Optical disk component to the top of the boot order, press
OK and start the VM.
In virt-manager, click on the VM, click the settings icon at the top and click "Add Hardware". In "Storage", change the device type to "CDROM device" and add the disk image. Click "Finish" and at the boot options setting, move the CDROM to the top of the boot order.
This procedure is undocumented.
Booting into the Live CD
After booting into the Live CD, follow these steps.
- See also: Whonix Default Passwords.
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! Read, understand and agree to Conditions for Contributions to Whonix ™, then Edit! Edits are held for moderation.
Copyright (C) 2012 - 2019 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP. Whonix ™ is a trademark. Whonix ™ is a licensee of the Open Invention Network. Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Freedom Software license as Whonix ™ itself. (Why?)