(Redirected from Requirements)
Supported Host Operating Systems
Any operating system that can run a supported virtualizer can run Whonix ™, including Windows, macOS, BSD, and Linux. Most users get started by installing VirtualBox on their current operating system and importing the Whonix ™ images. Advanced users may wish to boot a host operating system (usually a Unix variant) dedicated solely to running the Whonix ™ virtual machines.
For the best possible security, users can choose to run Whonix ™ virtual machines on the Qubes platform (Qubes-Whonix ™). Qubes is a Xen-based hypervisor (virtualizer) that runs on the bare metal of the hardware instead of within a host operating system. 
Non-Qubes-Whonix System Requirements
Table: Non-Qubes-Whonix System Requirements
|For Best Performance||
Qubes-Whonix ™ System Requirements
Minimum (Qubes 4.X)
- 4 GB RAM.
- 32 GB disk space.
- A 64-bit Intel or AMD processor -
- A fast SSD - strongly recommended.
- Intel IGP - strongly preferred.
- TPM with proper BIOS support - required for Anti Evil Maid [archive].
- 16 GB+ RAM minimum. 32 GB+ for power users. 
- A non-USB keyboard or multiple USB controllers to enable creation of a USB VM [archive]. 
- Interrupt remapping - this helps resist potential (hypothetical) attacks coming from compromised driver domains like
Before purchasing any hardware specifically for Qubes, always check the hardware compatibility list (HCL) [archive] first for suitable models. Without referring to the HCL, there is no guarantee that a computer supporting the above specifications will successfully install Qubes.
BTW, our laptop of choice for Qubes 4.0 is Carbon X1 gen5. This is what most of the core team uses now, so we try to make sure it runs Qubes 4.0 smoothly. But keep in mind this is not an _officially_ supported model, i.e. we don't guarantee anything™, use at your own risk™
Also note the fairly priced Insurgo PrivacyBeast X230 [archive] is the first custom, refurbished laptop to exceed all Qubes hardware certification requirements.  For detailed specifications and pricing, see: Insurgo PrivacyBeast X230 Laptop - QubesOS Certified & preinstalled - Single Order [archive].
- This is more secure because an attacker must subvert the hypervisor, which is far more difficult than exploiting a host operating system.
- Custom-Workstation: Self-made builds can be run on any real or virtual hardware, so long as they are behind a Whonix-Gateway ™. Tor Browser binaries are only available for a limited number of platforms (Windows, Linux, BSD and MacOS).
- Unsupported: QEMU
- Unsupported: VMware
- The virtual machine can work with as low as 256 MB RAM, but resource intensive operations like kernel package upgrades that rebuild the initrd might leave the virtual machine in a frozen state. It might run with 196 MB RAM or even less. Experimentation with RAM lower than 256 MB is up to the user; please share your results.
- https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/system-requirements/ [archive]
- Qubes system requirements are directly sourced from https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/system-requirements/ [archive]
- This is required for running HVM domains [archive], such as Windows-based AppVMs.
- Users report problems in creating DisposableVMs and running multiple VMs in parallel with only 4 GB RAM. 8 GB RAM is nearly exhausted with Qubes-Whonix ™ VMs running in parallel with the
- To prevent malicious compromise of dom0 via USB mice, keyboards or other USB devices.
- https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3208 [archive]
- https://twitter.com/rootkovska/status/959743157041811456 [archive]
- This includes:
- Binary-blob-free Coreboot initialization, including native graphic initialization.
- Heads provides an Anti-evil Maid (AEM) firmware solution and protects against malicious interdiction.
- Intel ME is neutered and unnecessary modules involved in main CPU initialization have been deleted.
- Ships with Qubes OS pre-installed (with full-disk encryption), with the final disk encryption key being regenerated when first powered on by the buyer.
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! Read, understand and agree to Conditions for Contributions to Whonix ™, then Edit! Edits are held for moderation.
Copyright (C) 2012 - 2019 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP. Whonix ™ is a trademark. Whonix ™ is a licensee [archive] of the Open Invention Network [archive]. Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Freedom Software license as Whonix ™ itself. (Why?)