Figure: Florence Software in Whonix ™
Audio, Image and Video
Audio Recorder and Editor
Figure: Audacity Software in Whonix ™
Image and PDF Viewer
Start menu →
Figure: Ristretto Software in Whonix ™
Figure: xpdf Software in Whonix ™
Screenshot Creator and Image Editor
Figure: Flameshot Software in Whonix ™
Figure: Flowblade Software in Whonix ™
Figure: vokoscreen Software in Whonix ™
Figure: RecordMyDesktop Software in Whonix ™
OpenPGP (GnuPG Frontend)
- Enigmail documentation [archive]
- GnuPG documentation [archive]
- OpenPGP key distribution strategies
- parcimonie - privacy-friendly helper to refresh a GnuPG keyring [archive] (in Debian [archive])
Figure: GnuPG Software in Whonix ™
Start menu →
VLC Media Player
Figure: VLC Software in Whonix ™
Figure: galculator Software in Whonix ™
To start it:
Start menu →
Figure: Xfce Terminal in Whonix ™
Open File with Root Rights
sudoedit for better security.  Replace
/path/to/file with the actual file name.
To use a different editor. Replace
mousepad with the name of the editor you wish to use.
SUDO_EDITOR=mousepad sudoedit /path/to/file
Work on Sensitive Documents
LibreOffice homepage [archive] (Debian package [archive])  is recommended. It is a fully-featured office productivity suite that provides a near drop-in replacement for Microsoft (R) Office. A word processor is included, along with spreadsheet and presentation applications.
Figure: LibreOffice Software in Whonix ™
Printing and Scanning
Scribus homepage [archive] (Debian package [archive]) is an open source desktop page layout accessible from the desktop menu (
Graphics). It can be used for many tasks; from booklets design to newspapers, magazines, newsletters and posters to technical documentation.
Scribus has sophisticated page layout features like precision placing and rotating of text and/or images on a page, manual kerning of type, bezier curves polygons, precision placement of objects, layering with RGB and CMYK custom colors. The Scribus document file format is XML-based. Unlike proprietary binary file formats, even damaged documents can be recovered with a simple text editor.
Figure: Scribus Software in Whonix ™
scurl: SSL Command Line Downloader
To securely download files or webpages from the Internet on the command line, scurl is pre-installed in Whonix ™. scurl should be preferred over wget, since the former enforces strong encryption and is less buggy.
To invoke scurl to download a file, use the following syntax and replace the example URL with the file's location.
This will download
tor-browser-linux64-9.5_en-US.tar.xz to the current working directory.
Refer to the scurl entry for further examples and a complete description of this tool.
Figure: scurl Command in Whonix ™
If the recommendations in this section are unsatisfactory, additional applications can be easily installed in a few steps; see Install Software.
- Florence homepage [archive]:
It is useful when a real keyboard is unusable either because of a handicap, disease, broken keyboard or tablet PC; but when a pointing device is usable. Florence stays out of your way: it appears on the screen only when needed. An auto-click functionality also help people having difficulties to click buttons.
- The Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface (at-spi2-core [archive]) is apparently a Florence dependency, since in testing it did not work without this package.
- Non-Qubes-Whonix ™ means all Whonix ™ platforms except Qubes-Whonix ™. This includes Whonix ™ KVM, Whonix ™ VirtualBox and Whonix ™ Physical Isolation.
- See also: RecordMyDesktop in Wikipedia with screenshot [archive].
- However, unrestricted access to the large number of codecs, along with the gstreamer and ffmpeg frameworks can expose the system to remote attacks. The risk is greater than with Tor Browser because the latter attempts to restrict codecs to a particular subset. No cookies are stored by VLC and no information is collected and sent to third parties [archive]; see the Original Whonix forum thread [archive].
- https://forums.whonix.org/t/use-sudoedit-in-whonix-documentation/7599 [archive]
- See also: LibreOffice in Wikipedia [archive].
Whonix ™ Software wiki page Copyright (C) Amnesia <amnesia at boum dot org>
Whonix ™ Software wiki page Copyright (C) 2012 - 2020 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP <firstname.lastname@example.org>
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details see the wiki source code.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; see the wiki source code for details.
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! Read, understand and agree to Conditions for Contributions to Whonix ™, then Edit! Edits are held for moderation. Policy of Whonix Website and Whonix Chat and Policy On Nonfreedom Software applies.
Copyright (C) 2012 - 2020 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP. Whonix ™ is a trademark. Whonix ™ is a licensee [archive] of the Open Invention Network [archive]. Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Freedom Software license as Whonix ™ itself. (Why?)