Template:Build Documentation CurrentSources
Advanced users could install from Current Sources (custom) instead of from Frozen Sources (default in 7.4.0 and above). Both options have security advantages and disadvantages.
If you are interested, click on Expand on the right.
CurrentSources builds are rarely tested due to lack of contributor manpower. Should work reasonably well in principle as long as no packages are removed from Debian. The worst thing that can probably happen, is that the build fails due to missing packages.
- Whonix's build script will use http://snapshot.debian.org instead of the more popular ftp.us.debian.org.
- Snapshot.debian.org will never change, i.e. their packages and versions will remain the same forever*[currentsources 1] [currentsources 2].
- Using Frozen Sources has the advantage that all builders end up with a very similar [currentsources 3] image. This gives builders more confidence, that they have ended up with an intact image.
- Are a precondition for the Verifiable Builds security feature.
- It follows, when building a fresh image it will contain outdated packages. (You can upgrade after booting for the first time.)
- Package downloads are still verified, but we have to ignore the valid-until field. Which means, a man-in-the-middle attack capable adversary could feed you with packages even older than configured in the version of Whonix you are building. Any packages which were ever signed with the APT repository signing key of that codename[currentsources 4]. You might not like that and therefore prefer building from Current Sources.
- At some point, for example if remotely exploitable vulnerabilities are found in the apt-get version (defined by Frozen Sources) it may be dangerous to continue building that version.
- We should compare our images with each other to ensure no man-in-the-middle attack has happened while building Whonix.
Current Debian APT repository:
- Packages and versions may change over time. Packages may be removed, replaced with others, versions get security other other updates.
- Build script may break the older the Whonix source code version release becomes. (Break as in the build won't finish - not as in creating images containing bugs.)
- Each builder ends up with an individual image.
- Valid-until field gets verified.
If you prefer to build from Current Sources, please add the following build script command line argument.
- Besides a few rare exceptions.
- As long the great snapshot.debian.org service lasts.
- Timestamps, temporary files and who knows what else (open research question) differ.
- Codename as in Testing, Wheezy, Jessie.