Reading the latest news is important to stay on top of latest developments. Should security vulnerabilities ever be found in Whonix, any major issues (such as with the updater) happen or should an improved version be released, you should be informed.
Whonix News Blogs
For your convenience, there are multiple choices to get news. Choose at your preference.
- Whonix Important Blog - Most important stuff only. Security vulnerabilities and new stable versions only. For people with very limited time and interest in Whonix development and news.
- Whonix Feature Blog - Includes everything from Whonix Important Blog. Also testers-only and developers versions are announced. Has a relaxed posting policy. Also blog posts about updated articles, new features, future features, development, call for testing, general project thoughts and so on will be published.
- Other choices. 
It's recommended at least to read Whonix Important Blog if you are in a hurry. Have a look into Whonix Feature Blog if you are generally interested to learn about anonymity/privacy/security related things or to see what's going on with Whonix.
Operating System Updates
You should regularly check for operating system updates on your host operating system, on Whonix-Workstation and on Whonix-Gateway as highly recommended in the Security Guide.
Tor Browser's built in update check mechanism also works in Whonix. Use it.
Whonix Version Check and Whonix News
By default, Whonixcheck runs automatically from time to time whenever the user starts up a Whonix-Workstation (commonly called whonix-ws). When run, Whonixcheck will verify that the Whonix system is up-to-date and that everything is in proper working order.
Even though Whonixcheck should run automatically from time to time (i.e. not every time the user starts a Whonix-Workstation), you may want to manually run Whonixcheck just to make sure that everything is in order. To do that, follow the directions below
How to manually run whonixcheck
If you are using Qubes-Whonix, complete the following steps:
Qubes App Launcher (blue/grey "Q") -> click on the Whonix VM you want to check -> whonixcheck / System Check
If you are using a graphical Whonix, complete the following steps:
Start Menu -> System -> whonixcheck
If you are using a terminal-only Whonix, complete the following steps:
Whonixcheck will take a few minutes to run. Assuming everything is good, you should get a print out where each heading "INFO" is in green (not red). See example printout below:
Example of Whonixcheck printout
INFO: SocksPort Test Result: Connected to Tor. IP: 126.96.36.199 INFO: TransPort Test Result: Connected to Tor. IP: 188.8.131.52 INFO: Stream Isolation Test Result: Functional. INFO: Whonix News Result: √ Up to date: whonix-workstation-packages-dependencies 2.5-1 √ Up to date: Whonix Build Version: 184.108.40.206.0 INFO: Debian Package Update Check Result: No updates found via apt-get. INFO: Whonix APT Repository: Enabled. When the Whonix team releases JESSIE updates, they will be AUTOMATICALLY installed (when you run apt-get dist-upgrade) along with updated packages from the Debian team. Please read https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Trust to understand the risk. If you want to change this, use: Start menu -> Applications -> System -> Whonix Repository INFO: Tor Browser Update Check Result: Up to date. INFO: Please consider making a small reoccurring donation. See: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Donate
Tor bootstrap refers to... It's "Tor connecting xx percent...", "Tor not connected", "Tor connected". That's all. It's not about "secure", "not secure", "anonymous", "not anonymous".
Social Media Profiles
Because some people will do so even though it is not recommended, messages from the Whonix Feature Blog will be automatically mirrored to Whonix Twitter Profile, to Whonix Facebook Profile
and to Whonix Google+ Profile.
If you won't get into trouble by letting others learn about Whonix, feel free to follow or like those profiles (with your anonymous account) as a little way to Contribute. You can share this page on: Twitter | Facebook | Google+.
Source CodeIn case you are interested in Whonix source code updates, subscribe to code changes.
- Whonix Important Blog RSS
- Whonix Feature Blog RSS
- subscribe to Whonix Blog by e-mail (when you are registered at Whonix Blog, you can choose to which categories you want to subscribe)
- Whonix Blog posts are mirrored to Whonix User Forum You could subscribe by by-email or by rss (recent posts .
Whonix Blog posts are mirrored to Whonix Development Mailing List(broken)
- Whonix Social Media Profiles
- Such as when a version becomes unsupported, if manual action is required, if major features break, or if security vulnerabilities are found. The policy is to use Whonix News as rarely as possible.
Qubes VM Manager -> right-click on the Whonix VM you want to check -> select "Run command in VM"
Type the following.
Type the following.