All kinds of tunnels are possible and tested to work with Whonix. With Whonix you can route a connection through a VPN, SSH, or proxy before Tor, after Tor, or both.
- Tunnel Support
- Tunnel Tor through proxy, VPN or SSH (user -> proxy/VPN/SSH -> Tor -> Internet)
- Tunnel proxy/proxychains/SSH/VPN through Tor (user -> Tor -> Proxy/SSH/VPN -> Internet)
- And if you want to combine both methods...
- user -> Proxy/SSH/VPN -> Tor -> Proxy/SSH/VPN -> Internet
- is possible as well.
- Comparison Of Tor with CGI Proxies, Proxy Chains, and VPN Services
- Free Example VPNs working with Whonix for testing purposes
- Chaining Anonymizing Gateways (experts only!)
Replacing Tor with something is possible as well, although only for some combinations and networks. It's partially done but don't hold your breath for seeing those features finished, see Other Anonymizing Networks.