VM Settings Easy Common
This is the easiest, but least secure option. (#more security)
For Qubes-Whonix ™, click on Expand on the right.
1. Create a new VM.
2. Set sys-whonix as your VM's NetVM.
Qube Manager →
For Non-Qubes-Whonix ™, click on Expand on the right.
Download and Use the Default Whonix-Gateway ™
Set up a Whonix-Custom-Workstation ™
There are currently two ways to set up a Whonix-Custom-Workstation ™. Either:
- Manually create a VirtualBox VM (established, old method).
- Download and import a Whonix-Custom-Workstation ™ (stable method).
Users who want to manually create a VirtualBox VM using the established and old method, click on Expand on the right.
1. Create a VirtualBox VM
Follow these steps in order:
Enter Name (for example, myVM) →
Enter Operating System and Version →
Define RAM →
Create a new HDD (or not) →
Disk format doesn't matter (VDI works well) →
Set dynamically or fixed size preference →
Set HDD size and location preference →
2. Switch VirtualBox VM Settings
Follow these steps in order:
Choose the newly created VM (for example, myVM)→
Hardware Clock in UTC
PS/2 Mouse (required to disable the USB controller)
Enable PAE/NX (if available)
Attached to Internal Network (important!)
Name (of Internal Network) (important!):
Uncheck Enable USB controller
Users who want to download and import a Whonix-Custom-Workstation ™ template using the stable method, click on Expand on the right.
This method's advantage is that there is need to manually create a new VM. The process is greatly simplified; the Whonix-Custom-Workstation ™ only needs to be downloaded and imported. This approach has several benefits: it is easier, all security settings are set for the VM, and users don't have to remember and apply necessary settings.
The latest Whonix-Custom-Workstation ™ Version is: 184.108.40.206.9
Although the version number for Whonix-Gateway ™ and Whonix ™-Default / Download-Version might be far higher than the Whonix-Custom-Workstation ™ version, this is normal. 
1. Download the Whonix-Custom-Workstation ™
Download the following image.
2. Download the OpenPGP Signature
Download the corresponding OpenPGP signature.
3. Verify the Whonix Image
Follow these steps to verify the Whonix image.
4. Import and Rename the Virtual Machine
After importing the image, rename the virtual machine to something else. 
Right-click on VM →
Name (for example: myVM)
If this method was used, please report how well it worked in the Whonix forum.
Start VM and Install Operating System
- Start the newly created VM (for example: myVM).
- Insert the installation DVD.
- Updates don't have to installed while installing the OS. Post-install, apply updates after the network has been set up.
- The username is: user. The computer name is: host
qubes-prefs --set vm-name netvm sys-whonix
- Note: It is Whonix, not whonix. Capital W case sensitivity matters.
- A newer Whonix-Custom-Workstation ™ only needs to be redistributed if the settings for the VM have changed. For example, these have not changed between Whonix 9 and Whonix 13. Therefore, Whonix-Custom-Workstation ™ version 220.127.116.11.9 is recent enough to function, because it comes with an empty virtual hard drive (meaning software cannot be outdated).
- It is not strictly necessary to rename the VM at this point, but this prevents potential naming conflicts if another Whonix-Custom-Workstation ™ is imported later on.