Security by Isolation
Whonix is divided into two parts: Whonix-Workstation for your work and Whonix-Gateway for automatically routing all internet traffic through Tor. This is security by isolation, and it averts many threats posed by malware, misbehaving applications, and user error.
Anonymity online through Tor
Whonix relies on the Tor network to protect your anonymity online: all connections are either forced through it or blocked. Tor protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world. Anybody watching your Internet connection can't see what sites you visit, and the sites you visit can't learn your physical location.
To learn more about Tor, see the official Tor website:
Based on Debian
In simple terms, Whonix is just a collection of configuration files and scripts.
Whonix isn't a stripped down version of Debian; anything you can do in "vanilla" Debian GNU/Linux is also possible in Whonix. Likewise, most problems and questions can be solved in the same way. For example: "How do I install xrandr on Whonix?" -- "The same way you would with Debian". Whonix doesn't break anything or limit functionality, meaning you can use any compatible software you want.
|Tip: since Ubuntu is also based on Debian, most online help for Ubuntu also works for Whonix.|
Each version of Whonix is based on a particular version of Debian:
|Whonix version||Debian version||Debian codename|
- A free and open operating system
- An anti-censorship tool
- The first step among many in hiding your identity
Whonix helps to
- Hide your IP address
- Prevent your ISP from spying on you
- Prevent websites from identifying you
- Prevent malware from identifying you
- Circumvent censorship
Whonix is not
- A One-Click-Anonymization-Solution
To continue discovering Whonix, you can now read:
- the Warning page to understand better the security limitations of Whonix and Tor,
- more details about the Features of Whonix,
- our Documentation explaining in details how to use Whonix,
- some hints on why should you Trust Whonix or not,
- our Security Guide and Design document about Whonix specification, threat model and implementation.
Footnotes / References
- Which consists of two virtual machines: Whonix-Gateway and Whonix-Workstation
- Such as your currently installed OS on your computer or an OS installed on an external drive.
Whonix About wiki page Copyright (C) Amnesia <amnesia at boum dot org> Whonix About wiki page Copyright (C) 2012 -2014 Patrick Schleizer <firstname.lastname@example.org> This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details see the wiki source code. This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; see the wiki source code for details.
Gratitude is expressed to JonDos for permission to use material from their website. (w) (w)  The "Summary of what Whonix is" chapter of the Whonix About wiki page contains content from the JonDonym documentation Features page.
Impressum | Datenschutz | Haftungsausschluss
Conditions for Contributions to Whonix, then Edit! IP addresses are scrubbed, but editing over Tor is recommended. Edits are held for moderation. Whonix (g+) is a licensee of the Open Invention Network. Unless otherwise noted above, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Free (as in speech) license as Whonix itself.