[Whonix-devel] wiki translation sourceforge feedback

adrelanos adrelanos at riseup.net
Wed Sep 25 02:43:16 CEST 2013

z_lezhnin at mail2000.ru:
> Hi, is this task affects wiki only?

Hi! For now: yes.

(And later: it's of course up to you if you want to some day also
coordinate translation of Whonix itself or other Whonix related tasks
such as user support or whatever. This is not a precondition for
anything. Anything goes.)

> I'm interested to help you.

Great!

> There was some link in sf about "Reading translation extension's
> documentation for mediawiki.", but I'm still not sure, that I
> understand what should translator coordinator do.

Fortasse (Whonix webmaster) is in process installing an extension for
mediawiki MediaWiki Language Extension Bundle:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_Language_Extension_Bundle

Installing and updating the extension is one task, another is to
understand how to use it.

Seems like mediawiki is not as intuitive in usability as one would think.

Your task would be to learn how to use the extension by reading it's
documentation on:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_Language_Extension_Bundle

Actually, MediaWiki Language Extension Bundle consists of multiple
extensions. Most are simple and there is nothing much to learn/explain.

A related page (which would be great if you could read it) is the
documentation page of the Translate extension:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate

It links to user documentation:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate

(You would learn it from a user perspective.) (Content translation)

Questions arise such as:
- - How to enable it for a wiki page?
- - Which buttons should volunteers press so they see the translation
interface?
- - How do these translator and auditor roles work?

For example on
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate#Content_translation
it tells to add "
could do that, or prepare it for others.

And also links to
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Page_translation_example
and best practices. Which would be great if you can read it, and if
you have questions, contact their support channels, because we don't
know and having someone tackling such tasks would really help.

That's it basically. If there are other questions, just ask. :)

Best,
adrelanos