[Whonix-devel] Release Candidate Whonix 9 ( 188.8.131.52 ) - testers wanted!
Whonix | Privacy and Anonymity OS
newblogpost at whonix.org
Sat Sep 13 00:28:27 CEST 2014
The version number for this testers-only release is 184.108.40.206, which will become Whonix 9 the moment it's blessed stable.
Download link for Virtual Box images (.ova), experimental kvm /qemu / Qubes images and OpenPGP signatures (.asc):
Upgrading Whonix 8 to Whonix 9
- You cannot upgrade using apt-get dist-upgrade or you will break the packaging system!
- You can upgrade using these instructions: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Upgrading_Whonix_8_to_Whonix_9
If you want to build from source code, see:
Thanks to everyone who made this test release possible!
Changlog between 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168:
- whonixcheck, timesync: minor output
- anon-meta-packages: fix, added "Pre-Depends: whonix-legacy" to whonix-gateway and whonix-workstation
- whonix-legacy: clean up old Whonix-Gateway shortcuts
- updated debian stable frozen sources
- makefile: added new feature "make deb-chl-bumpup" - Bump upstream version number in debian/changelog.
- rads: made compatible with systemd / debian testing by adding tty1 autologin drop-in config
- xchat-improved-privacy.postinst: fix, disable XChat plugins by default even if folder /home/user/.xchat2 exists
- libvirt xml files: Enable use of Hardware Assisted Paging if available in the hardware.
- sdwdate: fixed systemd spams syslog due to time changed by sclockadj (fixed #289)
- sdwdate: fix, clean up temporary directory on exit
- uwt: all temporary files are now in /tmp/uwt
- anon-base-files /usr/lib/pre.bsh: all temporary files are now in /tmp/prepost
- whonixcheck, timesync, tb-updater: fix, clean up temporary files/directory
- whonix-repository tool: fix, clean up temporary directory
- control-port-filter: fix, clean up temporary directory
- build script: install whonix-gateway or whonix-workstation meta package respectively
- build script: Use SAS rather than SATA as virtual hard disk controller for VirtualBox hdds to work around a VirtualBox upstream bug that causes filesystem corruption on high disk I/O (https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/10031). Thanks to @Neurodrive for the bug report (https://github.com/Whonix/Whonix/issues/274).
- whonix-repository tool, anon-shared-build-apt-sources-tpo, anon-apt-sources-list: use wheezy rather than stable as per https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php/topic,445.msg3640.html
- build script: added --file-system (var: whonix_build_file_system)
- build script: added --hostname (var: whonix_build_hostname)
- build script: added --os-password (var: whonix_build_os_password)
- build script: added --debopt (var: whonix_build_debopt)
- whonixcheck: check_virtualizer, no longer warn if Qubes (https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes) is detected; improved output, improved html tags
- anon-shared-build-apt-sources-tpo: updated The Tor Project's apt signing key as per https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/12994#comment:9
- build script: fix --terminal-only
- build script: fix --no-default-applications
- whonixcheck: refactoring, use /usr/lib/msgcollector/striphtml rather than sed in usr/lib/whonixcheck/check_tor_socks_or_trans_port
- tb-updater: update tbb version url as per https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/8940#comment:21
- tb-updater: compatibility with new recommended tbb versions format as per https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/8940#comment:28
- anon-ws-disable-stacked-tor: Set environment variable "export TOR_SKIP_CONTROLPORTTEST=1" to skip TorButton control port verification as per https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/13079. Will take effect as soon as The Tor Project merges the TOR_SKIP_CONTROLPORTTEST patch.
- sdwdate: curl, use --head rather than --include as per https://github.com/Whonix/Whonix/issues/315
- sdwdate: Breaking change: pool variable names were renamed. SDWDATE_POOL_PAL, SDWDATE_POOL_NEUTRAL, are now called SDWDATE_POOL_ONE, SDWDATE_POOL_TWO, SDWDATE_POOL_THREE. If you were using custom pools, you should update your config according to the new variable names. As per https://github.com/Whonix/Whonix/issues/310.
- sdwdate: no longer using pal/neutral/foe pool design. Using three pools instead, that only contain servers of the type "pal". As per https://github.com/Whonix/Whonix/issues/310. Thanks to https://github.com/HulaHoopWhonix for suggesting it.
This post has been automatically cross-posted by whonix.org/blog To see the original (including links), go to https://www.whonix.org/blog/whonix-9-release-candidate
More information about the Whonix-devel