[Whonix-devel] towards a somewhat soon release of Whonix 10, postposting jessie/systemd support

Whonix | Privacy and Anonymity OS newblogpost at whonix.org
Fri Apr 3 15:39:11 CEST 2015

For several reasons...

1) The TODO list for the release of Whonix 10 is getting smaller:
https://phabricator.whonix.org/maniphest/?statuses=open&allProjects=PHID-PROJ-azftsdqyk3mbrlzazoc6#R

2) Since the changelog for Whonix 10 is quite long already (https://www.whonix.org/blog/?p=1093&preview=1&_ppp=095bea96f1)...

3) And because of "release early, release often"...

4) And due to the brokenness of tb-updater, the many security enhancements in Whonix 10 and fixes:
- https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php/topic,1070.0.html
- https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php/topic,939.0.html
- https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php/topic,810.0.html
- https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php/topic,595.0.html

Therefore... I am proposing,
- to finish the remaining Whonix 10 TODO, to get Whonix 10 out somewhat soon
- to move jessie and systemd support [+ stuff someone contributes until then] to release goal of Whonix 11
- to move most Whonix 11 release goals to Whonix 12

Earlier I stated the release goal for Whonix 10 "ready to be upgraded to Debian jessie". After working on actual jessie and systemd stuff, I learned that this is not really possible. We can either build packages with dh_installinit for wheezy or dh_systemd for jessie. Having them compatible with both suites at once seems unjustifiably difficult. What we could do however would be building a jessie based Whonix 11 and making upgrading to jessie mandatory for that upgrade.

I've asked troubadour, if we can remove the Whonix 10 tag for,
- whonix-setup-wizard polishing (https://phabricator.whonix.org/T190) and
- control-port-filter-python improvement (https://phabricator.whonix.org/T243)

What do you think about that plan? Is there anything you absolutely need/want to get merged in time for Whonix 10 - because otherwise everything would go evil - that you can eventually contribute before the rest of the Whonix 10 TODO is done?

This post has been automatically cross-posted by whonix.org/blog To see the original (including links), go to https://www.whonix.org/blog/towards-whonix-10