[Whonix-devel] [qubes-users] Whonix 14 - upgrade or re-install? Whats more smooth, less troublesome?
qubes-fan at tutanota.com
qubes-fan at tutanota.com
Thu Aug 16 13:28:37 CEST 2018
Hi Patrick, I summed up how I understand it. Correct me if I am wrong:
- I back up the whonix(13) VMs of choice
- I clone the sys-whonix, anon-whonix, whonix-ws and whonix-gw to -backup (whonix-gw is a base template for the sys whonix, and must be deleted before install procedure too, right?)
- I assign sys-whonix-backup to whonix-gw-backup template; anon-whonix-backup to whonix-ws-backup template, so they dont suffer the deletion of the whonix-13 templates
- delete the anon-whonix and sys-whonix VMs
- detele whonix-ws and whonix-gw templates
- [user at dom0 ~]$ sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.anon-whonix
- if error appears:
[user at dom0 ~]$ sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-current-testing qubes-mgmt-salt-dom0-virtual-machines
-if needed, edit the /etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-templates.repo as per guide
- clone the -backup VMs to its original names like sys-whonix-backup to sys-whonix, and anon-whonix-backup to anon-whonix
- assign new renamed sys-whonix to whonix-gw(14) and anon-whonix to whonix-ws(14) templates
- delete anon-whonix-backup, sys-whonix-backup, whonix-ws-backup, whonix-gw-backup
Do I get it right?
Aug 16, 2018, 12:57 PM by qubes-fan at tutanota.com <mailto:qubes-fan at tutanota.com>:c
> Hi Patrick, should one switch the Qubes Tor networking backed normally by the sys-whonix to newly created sys-whonix-backup? It make sense to update/upgrade whonix through Tor.
> Aug 14, 2018, 10:10 PM by > patrick-mailinglists at whonix.org <mailto:patrick-mailinglists at whonix.org>> :
>> This is completely untested. Let me know what you think and if this
>> works for you.
>> * A backup of all Qubes VMs using the usual Qubes backup mechanism
>> (independent from below) is advisable anyhow.
>> * One who mind about their contents could clone their sys-whonix to
>> sys-whonix-backup and clone their anon-whonix to anon-whonix-backup.
>> Those who don't mind about their contents probably don't have this issue
>> * Then delete anon-whonix and sys-whonix.
>> * Then proceed as per >> https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes/Install <https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes/Install>
>> * Then delete the newly created sys-whonix / anon-whonix.
>> * Clone sys-whonix-backup to sys-whonix.
>> * Clone anon-whonix-backup to anon-whonix.
>> * Finally delete superfluous sys-whonix-backup / anon-whonix-backup.
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "qubes-users" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to >> qubes-users+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com <mailto:qubes-users+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com>>> .
>> To post to this group, send email to >> qubes-users at googlegroups.com <mailto:qubes-users at googlegroups.com>>> .
>> To view this discussion on the web visit >> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/c99cf0c7-5fcd-f75c-cc61-3cb8ebf5a703%40whonix.org <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/c99cf0c7-5fcd-f75c-cc61-3cb8ebf5a703%40whonix.org>>> .
>> For more options, visit >> https://groups.google.com/d/optout <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>>> .
More information about the Whonix-devel