[Whonix-devel] zulucrypt-gui: 100 character password limit

procmem at riseup.net procmem at riseup.net
Fri Apr 19 04:39:52 CEST 2019

Package: zulucrypt-gui
Version: 5.4.0-3
Severity: important

Dear Maintainer,

As part of my work on a downstream privacy distro, I tested zulucrypt-gui before integrating it and discovered it silently enforces a 100 character limit on passphrases which is much shorter than what cryptsetup allows. Since we recommend users go for a 20 word diceware passphrase they will always overrun this limit. It turned out to be a Qt bug and is now fixed in zulucrypt git and will be included in the release coming out next month. Please consider and back-porting the patch to the frozen version in stable-next (Buster).

TIA

https://github.com/mhogomchungu/zuluCrypt/issues/113#issuecomment-484627804
https://github.com/mhogomchungu/zuluCrypt/issues/113#issuecomment-484633815