[Whonix-devel] Plans to remove a feature, the Whonix News Blog Offline feature

Whonix | Privacy and Anonymity OS newblogpost at whonix.org
Tue Mar 25 15:58:09 CET 2014

This feature is documented here:
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Download#Whonix_News_Blogs

This is about this icon:

Here is a screenshot.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="1024"] Whonix News Blog opened offline[/caption]

We should now be talking about the same feature.

I planed to discontinue this feature anyway. It causes a lot effort, to manually create a text-only version of every new blog post. In fact, it demotivates me to create new blog posts to keep your posted and involved about Whonix developments and plans.

The question for you is: How many are using this Tor Browser Recommended / Whonix News Blogs Offline feature anyway?

When no one actually does, then it's save to discontinue the service. Otherwise would anyone have an idea how to semi-automate it to reduce the burden of maintaining a text file? (https://github.com/Whonix/whonix-developer-meta-files/blob/master/release/news/whonix_feature_blog.txt)

There are lots of other options following Whonix's blog:
- https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Download#Whonix_News_Blogs
- https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Download#WhonixNewsBlogOtherChoices

Occq suggested to make remove the Tor Browser Recommended icon from Whonix's desktop among other desktop icon and start menu changes. (https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php/topic,184.0.html) Looks like a good time to discuss discontinuation of this feature.

This post has been automatically cross-posted by whonix.org/blog To see the original (including links), go to https://www.whonix.org/blog/offline-blog-feature/