< Dev(Redirected from Dev/emergency-news)
- 1 Materials
- 1.1 project news
- 1.2 why
- 1.3 apt-listchanges
- 1.4 subscription channels
- 1.5 buttons
- 1.6 read and process this
- 1.7 read and process this also
- 1.8 message expiration
- 1.9 The Update Framework
- 1.10 emergency news signing key security
- 1.11 multi sig
- 1.12 /etc/emergency-news.d
- 1.13 distribution plugins
- 1.14 application plugins
- 1.15 annoyance
- 1.16 speak generally
- 1.17 test cases
- 1.18 message format
- 1.19 project name
- 2 Proposal
- 3 alternative package managers
- 4 Sponsors
- 5 Related
UNFINISHED (barely started)
Materials - pieces of information and links that should be included in the draft.
- plugin / settings based
- on your desktop
- cli users: local mail
Examples when project news would have been and will be useful.
- apt bugs
- apt signing key revocation
Why not use apt-listchanges instead?
Too technical. Lists changelogs, now news. Does not work in case of apt issues.
- emergency news only
- calls for testing
- all project news
- remind me
- do not show this again
read and process this
read and process this also
(some) messages (configurable) should only be valid for a certain time
The Update Framework
emergency news signing key security
The emergency notification messages should be signed with a different key than the one for repo package signing old and new.
Should use multi sig (key splitting).
The Debian apt signing key is on an official debian.org server. The revocation key is on Debian Developer's (DD) machines. (Not necessarily offline machines.)
They would need at least a 7/12 signature to create the Debian apt signing key revocation certificate.
So by using multi sig and not keeping the the emergency news signing key only on DD's machines, it would be safer than Debian's apt signing key.
The code for downloading the emergency news should be configurable.
Download the emergency news files from:
- version 1 - download from clearnet web servers
- version 2 - optionally download from onion web servers
- version 3 - optionally download from freenet / or something that implements a permanent takedown attack defense
- Debian, Qubes, Ubuntu, Whonix
Should application packages be allowed to use this mechanism also?
Distributions should be able to disable applications pushing news.
Should prevent against fear of annoying spam messages on their desktops.
Do not speak specifically about DDs since derivative distributions would handle this similarly by adding their distribution specific configuration file drop-in.
- multiple notifications at once
Text only? Clickable hyperlinks? Html, oh well? Security?
project-news is the proposed package name and project name. It is not fixed. We can still discuss this at Whonix and should leave this open during publication of this concept.
- Take any of the above bullet points one by one and convert those into a good wording that can be posted on the debian-devel mailing list.
alternative package managers
- Should ask core infrastructure initiative once the concept is ready.
- Permanent Takedown Attack Defender, proposal to defend a permanent takedown threat
- apt-revoker Check for Revocation Certificates before running apt-get
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! See Conditions for Contributions to Whonix, then Edit! IP addresses are scrubbed, but editing over Tor is recommended. Edits are held for moderation.