- For Windows, a simple Installer is available here: Windows. If errors are encountered, use the files below.
- For Linux and Mac, see below.
Note: You need to download both Gateway and Workstation virtual machine images.
|Download both Gateway and Workstation virtual machine images.|
||Download (v3 Onion)||Download (v3 Onion)||Yes ||Medium||High |
|OpenPGP Signature||OpenPGP Signature (v3 Onion)||Yes ||-||-|
|Verify the images using the Signing Key||Yes ||-||-|
Verify the Whonix Images
It is important to check the integrity of the downloaded virtual machine images to ensure that neither a man-in-the-middle attack or file corruption occurred (see Download Security).
|Warning: Do not continue if verification fails! This risks using infected or erroneous files! The whole point of verification is to confirm file integrity.|
Whonix virtual machine images are cryptographically signed by Whonix developer Patrick Schleizer using OpenPGP. 
Otherwise, use the following instructions:
- Install VirtualBox.
- Windows, Mac: Download VirtualBox and install.
- Linux and others: to install virtualbox.
3.Import Whonix into VirtualBox
For Whonix VirtualBox import instructions, please press on expand on the right.
There are also Video Tutorials.
If you still need help, please check the Support page.
Starting Whonix is simple.
Start VirtualBox -> Double click on the Whonix-Gateway and Whonix-Workstation.
First time user?
|The default username is: user |
The default password is: changeme
- For more please press on expand on the right.
- VirtualBox Known Issues
- VirtualBox Troubleshooting
- VirtualBox Guest Additions
- VirtualBox Clipboard Sharing
- VirtualBox Shared Folder
- Security Guide, VirtualBox_Hardening
- VirtualBox Security and Support Status
- Installing Newer Versions of VirtualBox
VirtualBox is a popular virtualizer that can run on top of Windows, Linux and Mac.
A supported platform that can run Whonix. There are also others.
- Work on the VirtualBox development task list.
- Become a VirtualBox maintainer so the Security and Support Status can be improved.
- By using the Tor Browser Bundle (TBB). For an introduction, see Tor Browser. See also Hide Tor and Whonix from your ISP.
- It does not matter if the bulk download is done over an insecure channel if OpenPGP verification is used at the end.
- OpenPGP is a standard for data encryption that provides cryptographic privacy and authentication through the use of keys owned by its users.
https | (forcing) onion
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! See Conditions for Contributions to Whonix, then Edit! IP addresses are scrubbed, but editing over Tor is recommended. Edits are held for moderation.