Please use Search Engines and see Documentation First
Unless purchasing Professional Support, please do not ask very basic questions.
Examples of very basic questions:
- How to update Whonix ™?
- How do I run Whonix ™ on Windows?
- How does VirtualBox work?
- How do I do X on OS Y?
Consider the likelihood of someone else having had the same question or issue before you. If that is the case, chances are high that exactly this has already been discussed before.
This is because:
- Whonix ™ is a technological means to anonymity, but staying safe necessitates complete behavioral change; it is a complex problem without an easy solution. The more you know, the safer you can be.
- Some answers to these questions are already available in documentation.
- The quality of answers in the documentation is higher than a rehash posted in a causal chat.
- Some of these topics are deemed too generic and out of scope for Whonix ™ and require the user to acquire a basic prerequisite knowledge of computing elsewhere before attempting anything further.
- Much development effort is made to configure safe defaults, but operations security (opsec) is not merely throwing a toolbox to someone. Staying safe requires a change of mindset and those skills unfortunately cannot be readily gained without doing some legwork and educating oneself. Due to the complexity of the subject, it will be impossible to find volunteers to assist with every step of the journey and learning curve. Advanced questions about Whonix ™ usage in cases not already documented are welcome however and can be answered if time and energy permit.
- Free Support Principle Rationale
- Policy Rationale
- General Advice
- Free Support Principle
- How To Ask Questions The Smart Way [archive]
- How do I ask a good question? [archive]
- The XY Problem [archive]
- Don't ask to ask, just ask [archive]
- No Hello [archive]
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! Read, understand and agree to Conditions for Contributions to Whonix ™, then Edit! Edits are held for moderation. Policy of Whonix Website and Whonix Chat and Policy On Nonfreedom Software applies.
Copyright (C) 2012 - 2020 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP. Whonix ™ is a trademark. Whonix ™ is a licensee [archive] of the Open Invention Network [archive]. Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Freedom Software license as Whonix ™ itself. (Why?)