The following steps summarize basic troubleshooting instructions, which are described in greater detail below. In basic terms:
- Non-Qubes-Whonix only: Verify the Whonix virtual machine images if this has step has not previously been completed.
- Ensure the virtual machine images have been imported into a supported virtualizer.
- Check if Tor Browser works on the host.
- Check if other virtual machines have Internet connectivity, such as newly created ones or those from a different vendor.
Information pertaining to these points should be included in any support request or bug report.
It is recommended to first test if the host Internet connection is functional by using ping.  On the host, run.
Check the date and time.
The following command should not show any errors. 
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -a
The following command should be silent and not show any errors or output at all. 
sudo dpkg --configure -a
Next attempt to retrieve all available updates.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
If the Tor Browser Bundle is not functional on the host, then Whonix is unlikely to work either. It is recommended to have a recent Tor Browser Bundle version installed at all times. This way users can test if they live in a censored area or not and whether Tor is blocked by the ISP. Further, if (private) (obfuscated) bridges are necessary for Tor Browser Bundle functionality on the host, then Whonix will similarly require them.
Whonix Network Connectivity Problems
If networking is unavailable inside Whonix, then try:
- Installing an operating system in a non-Whonix virtual machine or downloading a regular image without Tor enforcement.
- Testing network functionality in a freshly downloaded non-Whonix virtual machine.
If networking is still not functional, then Whonix will not work either. The user must first resolve this issue, which might require re-installation of the virtualizer, followed by a reboot and further connectivity test.
If networking is functional, then users should note that networking is working in non-Whonix VMs as part of the support request or bug report.
Run whonixcheck to verify that the Whonix system is up-to-date and that everything is in proper working order.
The first step should be completed on the host to ensure the host clock is set to the correct time.
On the host (Qubes-Whonix:
dom0), run the following command to report the time in UTC.
The output should be similar to the following.
Sun Jul 14 04:30:44 UTC 2018
To set the correct time in Whonix-Gateway (
sys-whonix), run the following command with the correct date and time parameters.
sudo date --set "Sun Jul 14 04:30:44 UTC 2018"
Tor should work once correct clock values are set, but that can be manually tested with whonixcheck.
Next restart sdwdate.
sudo service sdwdate restart
If Tor is still not functional, try restarting Tor.
sudo service tor restart
Clearnet Connectivity Test
Warning: The following test might reveal the Whonix platform is in use. If that is a valid concern, then omit this step.
Users can check if a non-torified, non-anonyomus, direct connection to check.torproject.org is functional. 
On Whonix-Gateway, run.
sudo -u clearnet UWT_DEV_PASSTHROUGH=1 curl --tlsv1.2 --proto =https -H 'Host: check.torproject.org' -k https://184.108.40.206
Complete the following steps:
- Shut down
- Change the
sys-whonixNetVM setting from
- Restart sys-whonix.
This procedure might help, but should not be considered a final solution. 
- For example, ping 220.127.116.11, ping google.com and so on.
- This process can be lengthy.
- This test only uses TCP and not DNS.
- This procedure was useful for Qubes-Whonix R3.2 users, although the Qubes bug report is now resolved: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2141
Comments will be deleted after some time. Specifically after comments have been addressed in form of wiki enhancements. See Wiki Comments Policy.
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! See Conditions for Contributions to Whonix, then Edit! IP addresses are scrubbed, but editing over Tor is recommended. Edits are held for moderation.
Whonix is provided by ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP. See Imprint.