What is Whonix-Gateway ™?
Whonix-Gateway ™ is software. Whonix-Gateway ™ runs Tor.
Tor is software. Thousands of volunteers are running computer servers that keep users anonymous on the Internet. It works by moving data across many Tor servers, called Tor relays. The role of each server is to move that data to another server. With the final hop moving data to the end site. As a result, information transmitted in this way is hard to trace. See also why Whonix uses Tor.
Every virtual machine properly connected to Whonix-Gateway ™ will be connect to the Internet using Tor and only Tor.
Users should never run applications such as Firefox inside Whonix-Gateway ™. All applications that the uses wishes to use Tor should be run inside Whonix-Workstation ™.
Figure: Whonix ™ Operating System Design
- Configure (Private) (Obfuscated) Tor Bridges
- Whonix-Gateway ™ Hardening
- Multiple Whonix-Gateway ™
- Access Whonix-Gateway ™ Ports from the Host
- Non-bridge Censorship Circumvention Tools
- Whonix-Gateway ™ System DNS
- Whonix-Gateway ™ Traffic: Transparent Proxying
- SSH or SSHFS into Whonix-Gateway ™
- Transfer Files: Host to Whonix-Gateway ™ or Whonix-Workstation ™ via ISO Images
- Chaining Anonymizing Gateways
- Connections Between Whonix-Gateway ™ and Whonix-Workstation ™
- Whonix-Gateway Firewall
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! Read, understand and agree to Conditions for Contributions to Whonix ™, then Edit! Edits are held for moderation. Policy of Whonix Website and Whonix Chat applies.
Copyright (C) 2012 - 2020 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP. Whonix ™ is a trademark. Whonix ™ is a licensee [archive] of the Open Invention Network [archive]. Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Freedom Software license as Whonix ™ itself. (Why?)