Whonix-Gateway System DNS
DNS on Whonix-Gateway
Advanced users only!
Usually recommended against and unnecessary.
Whonix-Workstation is configured to use various SocksPorts, DnsPort and TransPort, see also Stream Isolation. Whonix-Gateway is only configured to use various SocksPorts. A global system DNS resolver isn't required for Whonix-Gateway for any common use case to justify enabling it by default. Use cases where this could be useful include:
- resolving the hostname of a proxy used in /etc/tor/torrc through Tor would be useful (technical explanation)
- resolving the hostname of a VPN. But then using a VPN configuration using IPs only would be better.
- Perhaps we could use /etc/hosts for such use cases rather than enabling system DNS?
Working. Using Whonix-Gateway's user clearnet.
|Using the clearnet user, traffic will be sent over normal internet! Not over Tor! Will not be anonymous!|
sudo chmod -x /etc/dhcp/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/nodnsupdate
sudo chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf
sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf
sudo service networking restart
sudo su clearnet
Test it, for example using ping.
- Since Whonix 0.2.1 also the Whonix-Gateway traffic is routed over Tor. This prevents telling the world that the user is a Whonix user.
- To preserve anonymity of activities the user is doing inside Whonix-Workstation, it would not be required to torify Whonix-Gateway's own traffic.
- For your interest: if you were to change DNS settings on Whonix-Gateway in Stream Isolation). , this would only affect Whonix-Gateways's own DNS requests issued by applications using the system's default DNS resolver. Actually, by default, no applications issuing network traffic on Whonix-Gateway use the system's default DNS resolver. All applications installed by default on Whonix-Gateway issuing network traffic (apt-get, whonixcheck, timesync) are explicitly configured (or forced by uwt wrappers) to use their own Tor SocksPort (see
- Whonix-Workstation's default applications are configured to use separate Tor SocksPort's (see Stream Isolation), thus not using the system's default DNS resolver. Any applications on Whonix-Workstation, not configured for stream isolation (for example ), will use the default DNS server configured in Whonix-Workstation in , which is Whonix-Gateway. Those DNS requests will be redirected to Tor's DnsPort by Whonix-Gateway's firewall. (Therefore Whonix-Gateway's does not affect Whonix-Workstation's DNS requests.)
Impressum | Datenschutz | Haftungsausschluss
Conditions for Contributions to Whonix, then Edit! IP addresses are scrubbed, but editing over Tor is recommended. Edits are held for moderation. Whonix (g+) is a licensee of the Open Invention Network. Unless otherwise noted above, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Free (as in speech) license as Whonix itself.