Tunnels/Connecting to SSH before Tor
|Before combining Tor with other tunnels, be sure to read and understand the risks!|
Too difficult to set up? Provider specific automation can be created for you by the lead developer of Whonix. Send reasonable price suggestions. Get in contact.
|Documentation for this is incomplete. Contributions are happily considered!|
|It's possible to pay for the completion of this wiki page. Send reasonable price suggestions. Get in contact.|
The SSH tunnel be configured on the host or inside Whonix-Gateway.
Install SSH Client
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ssh
- TODO: Public key authentication steps
apt-get install lynx
Configure Local Server
ssh -D 1080 your.ssh.server
- TODO: Run in background on each start up before Tor.
- TODO: Public Key authentication steps
Option 1: Use Anon Connection Wizard
Beginning with Whonix 14, a prefixed proxy can be configured easily using Anon Connection Wizard.
Option 2: Manually Configure Proxy
|For Whonix 14 and later releases, all unique Tor configurations should be stored in /usr/local/etc/torrc.d/50_user.conf. Users should not edit /etc/tor/torrc directly.|
- If SSH tunnel was setup from Whonix-Gateway:
- If SSH tunnel was setup from host operating system, change IP:PORT as needed:
- TODO: if running inside Whonix-Gateway, new firewall rules are probably required.
https | (forcing) onion
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! See Conditions for Contributions to Whonix, then Edit! IP addresses are scrubbed, but editing over Tor is recommended. Edits are held for moderation.