Tunnels/Connecting to a proxy before Tor
Connecting to a Proxy before Tor
|Before combining Tor with other tunnels, be sure to read and understand the risks!|
There are issues you should be aware of when using standard, common http(s)/socks4(a)/5 proxies. (Anonymizers that only use http(s)/socks4(a)/5 as an interface are exempt.)
Have Proxy Configuration Handy
Where is the proxy running?
- On proxy software (such as lantern) that creates a proxy tunnel on your local computer?
- Qubes-Whonix: There is are examples, lantern and JonDonym.
- Non-Qubes-Whonix: This is not yet fully documented for Non-Qubes-Whonix. Please contribute. You would have to run the proxy software under the linux user account
- Undocumented: how to autostart your custom software after reboot. (systemd etc.)
- Undocumented: Custom proxy software setup example.
- Or on a remote computer? Great, the is easier to set up.
What is the IP and the port of the proxy?
- You know the proxy IP? Great!
- Or you want to run a custom proxy software on Whonix-Gateway? That is also called localhost. Then your proxy IP probably is
- Note: You need to use the IP instead of the hostname (proxy.example.com). If you don't know the IP of your proxy, please run  for more information. (replace proxy.example.com with the hostname of your actual proxy) in a terminal (Konsole) on your host operating system. Using IP instead of hostname might cause subtle fingerprinting issues, see
Which type of proxy you are using?
- Proxy requires username?
- Proxy requires password?
User -> proxy -> Tor -> Internet
Tor natively supports proxy settings and only requires editting the torrc file.
HTTPProxy host[:port] HTTPProxyAuthenticator username:password HTTPSProxy host[:port] HTTPSProxyAuthenticator username:password Socks4Proxy host[:port] Socks5Proxy host[:port] Socks5ProxyUsername username Socks5ProxyPassword password FascistFirewall 0|1 ReachableAddresses ADDR[/MASK][:PORT]… ReachableDirAddresses ADDR[/MASK][:PORT]… ReachableORAddresses ADDR[/MASK][:PORT]…
Optional: Test. Run whonixcheck.
Impressum | Datenschutz | Haftungsausschluss
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! See Conditions for Contributions to Whonix, then Edit! IP addresses are scrubbed, but editing over Tor is recommended. Edits are held for moderation.