Recommended VirtualBox Version for use with Whonix ™
It is highly recommended to use the recommended VirtualBox version for use with Whonix ™. Otherwise there can be issues. 
Instructions for installing VirtualBox on Debian Linux can be found for example on the Whonix ™ for VirtualBox with XFCE page, which contains the following text.
- Linux : please press expand on the right side.
Once expanded, the recommended instructions will explain how to install VirtualBox.
- stable version of Whonix ™ for VirtuallBox
- testers-only version of Whonix ™ for VirtuallBox
- newer VirtualBox versions and installation methods such as from virtualbox.org
- VirtualBox Guest Additions and Shared Folders
- VirtualBox Troubleshooting
18.104.22.168.1was built and tested with VirtualBox version
6.1.14. Newer VirtualBox not listed on the stable version of Whonix ™ for VirtuallBox, testers-only version of Whonix ™ for VirtuallBox or otherwise in Whonix ™ News are untested by Whonix ™ developers and can cause issues such as instability (VirtualBox suddenly closing, host freezing, black screen). Users are advised to use the wait until newer versions of VirtualBox are recommended for use with Whonix ™.
Newer VirtualBox versions are hard to install on Debian
buster. Perhaps the VirtualBox host software is available (even as a Debian package) from virtualbox.org repository VirtualBox guest additions are not available as a Debian package. Using an older version of VirtualBox guest additions (such as the pre-installed ones) might lead to broken functionality such as an inability to resize the VM or instability. Installation of VirtualBox guest additions from ISO might also cause issues. [archive]
- VirtualBox Unavailable in Debian stable and backports due to Debian Stable Security Maintenance Issues
- Debian VirtualBox feature request: upload to Debian fasttrack [archive]
- Debian fasttrack feature request: please add VirtualBox to fasttrack [archive]
- Missing dependencies on Buster for Virtualbox 6.1.6 [archive]
- VirtualBox feature request: Guest Additions Debian Packages unavailable from Oracle Repository [archive]
- building VirtualBox from source code failing and nobody could fix it [archive], and again [archive].
checkbackport[archive] stating [archive] that creating a backport from the Debian
sidVirtualBox source package is not possible.
- Installing VirtualBox on Debian 10 / Debian buster / buster-backports / fasttrack [archive]
- Call for help:
- https://forums.whonix.org/t/challenges-upgrading-virtualbox-to-6-1-12-on-debian-buster-installation-from-upstream-virtualbox-org-apt-repository/9984 [archive]
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! Read, understand and agree to Conditions for Contributions to Whonix ™, then Edit! Edits are held for moderation. Policy of Whonix Website and Whonix Chat and Policy On Nonfreedom Software applies.
Copyright (C) 2012 - 2020 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP. Whonix ™ is a trademark. Whonix ™ is a licensee [archive] of the Open Invention Network [archive]. Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Freedom Software license as Whonix ™ itself. (Why?)