Recommended VirtualBox Version for use with Whonix ™
It is highly recommended to use the recommended VirtualBox version for use with Whonix ™. Otherwise there can be issues. 
Instructions for installing VirtualBox on Debian Linux can be found for example on the Whonix ™ for VirtualBox with XFCE page, which contains the following text.
* Linux : please press expand on the right side.
Once expanded, the recommended instructions will explain how to install VirtualBox.
- stable version of Whonix ™ for VirtuallBox
- testers-only version of Whonix ™ for VirtuallBox
- newer VirtualBox versions and installation methods such as from virtualbox.org
- VirtualBox Guest Additions and Shared Folders
- VirtualBox Troubleshooting
18.104.22.168.3was built and tested with VirtualBox version
6.1.20. Newer VirtualBox not listed on the stable version of Whonix ™ for VirtuallBox, testers-only version of Whonix ™ for VirtuallBox or otherwise in Whonix ™ News are untested by Whonix ™ developers and can cause issues such as instability (VirtualBox VMs not starting [archive], VMs suddenly closing, host freezing, VM black screen). Users are advised to use the wait until newer versions of VirtualBox are recommended for use with Whonix ™.
Newer VirtualBox versions are hard to install on Debian
buster. Perhaps the VirtualBox host software is available (even as a Debian package) from virtualbox.org repository VirtualBox guest additions are not available as a Debian package. Using an older version of VirtualBox guest additions (such as the pre-installed ones) might lead to broken functionality such as an inability to resize the VM or instability. Installation of VirtualBox guest additions from ISO might also cause issues. [archive]
- VirtualBox Unavailable in Debian stable and backports due to Debian Stable Security Maintenance Issues
- Debian VirtualBox feature request: upload to Debian fasttrack [archive]
- Debian fasttrack feature request: please add VirtualBox to fasttrack [archive]
- Missing dependencies on Buster for Virtualbox 6.1.6 [archive]
- VirtualBox feature request: Guest Additions Debian Packages unavailable from Oracle Repository [archive]
- building VirtualBox from source code failing and nobody could fix it [archive], and again [archive].
checkbackport[archive] stating [archive] that creating a backport from the Debian
sidVirtualBox source package is not possible.
- Installing VirtualBox on Debian 10 / Debian buster / buster-backports / fasttrack [archive]
- Call for help:
- https://forums.whonix.org/t/challenges-upgrading-virtualbox-to-6-1-12-on-debian-buster-installation-from-upstream-virtualbox-org-apt-repository/9984 [archive]
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! Read, understand and agree to Conditions for Contributions to Whonix ™, then Edit! Edits are held for moderation. Policy of Whonix Website and Whonix Chat and Policy On Nonfreedom Software applies.
Copyright (C) 2012 - 2021 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP. Whonix ™ is a trademark. Whonix ™ is a licensee [archive] of the Open Invention Network [archive]. Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Freedom Software license as Whonix ™ itself. (Why?)
The personal opinions of moderators or contributors to the Whonix ™ project do not represent the project as a whole.