Why Whonix is Free Software
Why Whonix will always be free in price as well as in Freedom?
- Security: The public scrutiny of security by design has proven to be superior to security through obscurity. This aligns the software development process with Kerckhoffs' principle - the basis of modern cipher-systems design. The system must be secure even if the enemy knows everything about how it works.
- Legal: Whonix is based on Libre Software. Their licenses do not grant the right to modify and distribute them without sharing the modified source code.
- Ethical: We believe it immoral to benefit from those Free/Libre Software components and give back nothing. We stand on the shoulders of giants - Whonix and many other Libre software projects are only made possible because people invested in writing code that is kept available for the community.
- Community: It is rewarding and fun to have all types of people contributing. This works best in Open Source projects.
- Impact: When free in price, it can spread faster than commercial tools that cannot provide anonymity or privacy by design.
- Commercial: We hope to make a living on Whonix by selling additional services (professional support) and donations.
- Career: Our experience volunteering on this project makes us more valuable.
Impressum | Datenschutz | Haftungsausschluss
Conditions for Contributions to Whonix, then Edit! IP addresses are scrubbed, but editing over Tor is recommended. Edits are held for moderation. Whonix (g+) is a licensee of the Open Invention Network. Unless otherwise noted above, content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Free (as in speech) license as Whonix itself.