Why Whonix is Free Software
Why Whonix will always be free in price as well as in Freedom?
- Security: Open Source software like Linux is more secure than closed source software. The public scrutiny of security by design has proven to be superior to security through obscurity. This aligns the software development process with Kerckhoffs' principle - the basis of modern cipher-systems design. This principle asserts that systems must be secure, even if the adversary knows everything about how they work. Generally speaking, Libre Software projects are much more open and respectful of the privacy rights of users. Libre Software projects also encourage security bug reports, open discussion, public fixes and review.
- Legal: Whonix is based on Libre Software. Their licenses do not grant the right to modify and distribute them without sharing the modified source code.
- Ethical: We believe it immoral to benefit from those Free/Libre Software components and give back nothing. We stand on the shoulders of giants - Whonix and many other Libre software projects are only made possible because people invested in writing code that is kept available for the community.
- Community: It is rewarding and fun to have all types of people contributing. This works best in Open Source projects.
- Impact: When free in price, it can spread faster than commercial tools that cannot provide anonymity or privacy by design.
- Commercial: We hope to make a living on Whonix by selling additional services (professional support) and donations.
- Career: Our experience volunteering on this project makes us more valuable.
Impressum | Datenschutz | Haftungsausschluss
Conditions for Contributions to Whonix, then Edit! IP addresses are scrubbed, but editing over Tor is recommended. Edits are held for moderation. Whonix (g+) is a licensee of the Open Invention Network. Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Libre Software license as Whonix itself.