Manually Creating Whonix
This is just a draft, unfinished! Just some ideas. Unlikely to be ever finished. For special setups and advanced users only. Only in case the Download version, Other Operating Systems, Physical Isolation or Dev/Build Documentation instructions are not suitable, for example if you like to use another distribution as the base for Whonix-Gateway. Dev/Build Anonymity has not been considered.
This assumes Whonix 7 or above.
Dev/Source Code Intro contains a source code introduction.
Look into Whonix source code. It is mostly an installing and copy and paste task.
Look into the source file ./build-steps/45_create-vbox-vm. See function general_setup to see which commands are used to create both Virtual Machines, apply hardware_modifications on both machines, and also apply gateway_specific or workstation_specific accordingly.
After installing the operating system...
- Packages listed in /home/user/Whonix/development/Whonix-Gateway_packages have to be installed on Whonix-Gateway.
- Packages listed in /home/user/Whonix/development/Whonix-Workstation_packages have to be installed on Whonix-Workstation.
All files within whonix_gateway folder are configuration files supposed to be installed on Whonix-Gateway. For example /home/user/Whonix/whonix_gateway/etc/tor/torrc is supposed to be installed on Whonix-Gateway under /etc/tor/torrc.
All files within whonix_workstation folder are configuration files supposed to be installed on Whonix-Workstation. For example /home/user/Whonix/whonix_workstation/usr/local/bin/xchat-reset is supposed to be copied to /usr/local/bin/xchat-reset on Whonix-Workstation.
whonix_shared are configuration files supposed to be installed on Whonix-Gateway and Whonix-Workstation. For example /home/user/Whonix/whonix_shared/etc/sudoers.d/whonix is supposed to be copied to /etc/sudoers.d/whonix on Whonix-Gateway and Whonix-Workstation.
You don't have to bother with most other files in Whonix source folder. Just read README and LICENSE.
- /whonix_gateway/usr/share/whonix/chroot-scripts-pre.d are run inside Whonix-Gateway
- /whonix_workstation/usr/share/whonix/chroot-scripts-pre.d are run inside Whonix-Workstation
- /whonix_shared/usr/share/whonix/chroot-scripts-pre.d are run inside Whonix-Gateway and Whonix-Workstation
- There are also chroot-scripts-post.d folders.
You can also read the scripts and only run the commands you find sensible manually one by one.
- Those are used for image creation and Virtual Machine creation.
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! See Conditions for Contributions to Whonix, then Edit! IP addresses are scrubbed, but editing over Tor is recommended. Edits are held for moderation.