(Roughly in chronology order:)
- Patrick Schleizer (developer) (forum) (profile page) (contact)
- fortasse (whonix.org server admin) (forum) (contact)
- HulaHoop (KVM maintainer, research, misc) (forum)
- Jason Ayala (Creative Consultant, usability testing and feedback, English language fixes) (forum)
- IronSoldier: IRC User Support
- Ego (wiki translations coordinator, forum user support, Whonix Windows installer) (forum)
- entropy (testing, forum user support, forum moderator)
- torjunkie (testing, Whonix wiki revamp, research)
- iry (anon-connection-wizard)
(Roughly in chronology order:)
Made many things in TorBOX guide much clearer; English language fixes; created leaktest scripts (python); Thank you! (smarm [at] hushmail dot com)
- Founder of TorBOX build shell script and initial TorBOX downloadable releases. (Feb 2012)
- Changed initial TorBOX guide to use VirtualBox instead of VMware. (Feb 2012)
- Rewritten the iptables firewall and added a hardening section. (Feb 2012)
- past Forum Moderator at previous Whonix sourceforge forum
- contributed a phone number, so the Whonix Google+ and Youtube account could be set up
- documentation feedback
- testing Whonix images
- comments on Whonix source code and changes
- review Whonix build documentation
- testing Whonix building from source code
- helped with Whonix TorChat integration
- reviewing public relation
- documentation feedback
- original TorBOX logo
- Whonix Stream Isolation Graphic – graphic and web design revlover print media – web design – web development – cms – e-commerce
- developer - (forum)
Credits, Inspiration, Alternatives, Sources
In random order.
Without those projects and the people behind who created and maintain those, Whonix in its current form wouldn't have been possible.
- Ubuntu GNU/Linux
- Debian GNU/Linux
- Some documentation pages forked from Tails by Patrick Schleizer for Whonix. See Dev/Tails Doc Fork for a list, which documentation pages have been forked.
- The Tor Project
- help-bash Mailing List
- For general thoughts on anonymity networks and threat models. **
- Liberte Linux
Sources learned from... In random order...
- Debian Tutorials: Installing and configuring PPTP VPN server on lenny
- Debian Tutorials: Loading iptables rules on startup
- How-To Geek: How to Setup a VPN (PPTP) Server on Debian Linux
- Tor Project: Transparently Routing Traffic Through Tor
- “Re: (tor-talk) Aurora only build”
- wikibooks.org How to Protect your Internet Anonymity and Privacy/TOR Hidden Service for Anonymous Websites
- KDE Mailing List
Here is a list of projects with similar goals to Whonix. The list is here for reference. Those projects may have interesting thoughts, mistakes, security enhancements, features and so on. The useful stuff can be potentially ported to Whonix. Some projects inspired the development of Whonix (missing features, implementation reference etc.).
- A few reasons listed in this link not to use some of those projects applies here as well.
- Torouter; alpha
- Tor and the DreamPlug; similar networking/firewall
- Tor and OpenWRT; similar networking/firewall
- Transparent Proxy; it offers: 1. Transparently anonymizing traffic for a specific user; 2. Local Redirection Through Tor; 3. Anonymizing Middlebox; 4. Local Redirection and Anonymizing Middlebox; closest one to Whonix is Anonymizing Middlebox; Whonix is an Isolating Proxy
- Transocksifying Tor; now outdated; back when Tor didn't natively support TransPort; uses a different firewall with DNAT
- PELD; specification and implementation (in the form of Tails
- A Tor Virtual Machine Design and Implementation; design document
- JanusVM; insecure
- TorVM; from the same authors like JanusVM; other link; insecure
- TorVPN; the abandoned predecessor of TorBOX (now Whonix); not finished
- another TorVM; from unknown authors; site wants to look similar to official Tor site; fishy
- Easy and secure anonymous internet usage by ra; anonymous author; now with source code
- Tails; Live CD/USB distribution preconfigured to use Tor safely.; listed on https://www.torproject.org; with Tor enforcement
- old instructions from board.gulli.com; in German language; more complicated; back when Tor didn't natively support TransPort
- Running a TOR Relay on OpenBSD part 1 part 2; no review yet
- VM basierende Anonymisierung; German; not very sophisticated
Tor Hidden Service Server in a box -- Tor Hidden Service VM; no review
"My Hidden Blog" - Hosting Tutorial; based on Tor Hidden Service Server in a box -- Tor Hidden Service VM; no review
- Liberté Linux; Live CD based on hardened Gentoo; No isolation between client applications and Tor, infrequent security releases.
- Qubes; focuses on security through isolation based on virtualization. This blog post provides some hints how to integrate Tor but the actual implementation is left to the user.
- Hidden Service Setup Guide for Newbies (Version .2); howto; you don't have to download the pdf, you find the guide on google and in google cache (google the pdf link)
- VMWare Through Tor Getting Tor to proxy connections from inside the VMWare Browser Appliance.
- TorVM for Qubes (qubes-tor)
History of Whonix.
Images created by third parties
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:HTTP.png http://www.webcitation.org/6I2CPSF9M
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Transmission_torrent.png http://www.webcitation.org/6I2CP6Apc
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Magnet_icon.svg http://www.webcitation.org/6I2COmwGR
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Button_sig.png http://www.webcitation.org/6I2COMtDa
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Crypto_key.svg http://www.webcitation.org/6I2CO00Cf
- http://findicons.com/icon/232568/template_source?id=232784 https://archive.is/NfgrK
- http://www.iconarchive.com/show/torrent-icons-by-aha-soft/btorrent-icon.html (w)
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mozilla_Thunderbird_3.1.png By Maxime Lorant (Own work) [GPL (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html) or LGPL (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html)], via Wikimedia Commons
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Xchat.png By Rhobite at en.wikipedia. Later version(s) were uploaded by Izanbardprince, Random contributor at en.wikipedia. [GPL (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html)], from Wikimedia Commons
- https://www.whonix.org/wiki/File:Onion1.png http://www.flaticon.com/free-icon/onion-bulb_18167 http://www.webcitation.org/6VQm5an8O by http://www.flaticon.com/authors/freepik under http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
- Gratitude is expressed to JonDos for permission to use material from their website. (w) (w) 
- broken link:
See page footer.
See license file in Whonix source code.
Impressum | Datenschutz | Haftungsausschluss
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! See Conditions for Contributions to Whonix, then Edit! IP addresses are scrubbed, but editing over Tor is recommended. Edits are held for moderation.