Downloading YouTube Videos in Whonix ™
youtube-dl is: 
... a command-line program to download videos from YouTube.com and a few more sites. It requires the Python interpreter (2.6, 2.7, or 3.2+), and it is not platform specific. We also provide a Windows executable that includes Python. youtube-dl should work in your Unix box, in Windows or in Mac OS X. It is released to the public domain, which means you can modify it, redistribute it or use it however you like.
youtube-dl is simple to use in Whonix ™. Simply follow the instructions to install it below, identify the relevant YouTube video URL, then run the application in a terminal to download the video. Once it has finished downloading, VLC Media Player (installed by default) can be used to view the video.
The Whonix ™ wiki normally recommends that additional software is installed from Debian stable, but in the case of
youtube-dl there is often a significant difference between the stable and backports versions. Since the developers frequently update the software to address broken functionality when attempting downloads from various websites, an upgrade of
youtube-dl from Debian backports may be required. 
First identify the relevant YouTube video URL in Tor Browser, then right-click the link and select "Copy Link Location". In the example below it is "Why Do so Many People Hate Windows 10?" (https://youtube.com/watch?v=KpEb8M23LsU [archive])
Figure: Example YouTube Video to Download
Next, open a terminal. To download the relevant YouTube video, run (replace 'link-to-video' with the chosen URL).
youtube-dl Example Download
Finally, open VLC Media Player and select the relevant file to play:
Open File... →
Open the video file
Figure: VLC Media Player
- general options
- network options
- geo restriction
- video selection
- download options
- filesystem options
- thumbnail images
- verbosity/simulation options
- video format options
- subtitle options
- authentication options
- Adobe pass options
- post-processing options
In addition the documentation describes numerous configuration settings, output templates, format selection and video selection among other topics. Many readers will be interested in how to select preferred video quality; see here [archive] for a quick overview.
- https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/ [archive]
- At the time of writing, the Debian package tracker [archive] shows stable has a 2019 version, while backports has a late 2020 version available.
- Users should Prefer Packages from Debian Stable Repository, but using backports is better than manual software installation or using third party package managers since this prefers APT. To contain the risk, Non-Qubes-Whonix ™ users might want to consider using Multiple Whonix-Workstation ™ and Qubes-Whonix ™ users might want to consider using Multiple Qubes-Whonix ™ TemplateVMs or Software Installation in a TemplateBasedVM.
- Most often this step applies before attempting major Whonix ™ upgrades; upgrade instructions are also made available at that time (see Stay Tuned).
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! Read, understand and agree to Conditions for Contributions to Whonix ™, then Edit! Edits are held for moderation. Policy of Whonix Website and Whonix Chat and Policy On Nonfreedom Software applies.
Copyright (C) 2012 - 2021 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP. Whonix ™ is a trademark. Whonix ™ is a licensee [archive] of the Open Invention Network [archive]. Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Freedom Software license as Whonix ™ itself. (Why?)
The personal opinions of moderators or contributors to the Whonix ™ project do not represent the project as a whole.