YaCy is a free search engine that anyone can use to build a search portal for their intranet or to help search the public internet. When contributing to the world-wide peer network, the scale of YaCy is limited only by the number of users in the world and can index billions of web pages. It is fully decentralized, all users of the search engine network are equal, the network does not store user search requests and it is not possible for anyone to censor the content of the shared index. We want to achieve freedom of information through a free, distributed web search which is powered by the world's users. ... The resulting decentralized web search currently has about 1.4 billion documents in its index (and growing - download and install YaCy to help out!) and more than 600 peer operators contribute each month. About 130,000 search queries are performed with this network each day.
This means it is unnecessary to rely upon centralized professional search engines and their proprietary software. Instead, hundreds of peer operators can serve search queries in a decentralized fashion.
Tor Browser Proxy Exception
Note: The following steps will no longer be required once Whonix releases a custom Tor Browser for connecting to alternative networks. 
Configure Tor Browser to connect to localhost.
In Tor Browser:
about:configinto the URL bar.
- Search for
- Set to
To access the WebUI, copy
127.0.0.1:8090 into the URL bar of Tor Browser and press
Note: YaCy cannot be integrated with Tor Browser because the official YaCyBar add-on [archive] from Mozilla is incompatible with Firefox Quantum and was last updated in 2011. Unless the add-on code is revamped, this option will remain impossible at present.
- https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-configure-yacy-as-an-alternative-search-engine-or-site-search-tool [archive]
- https://yacy.net/en/index.html [archive]
- http://debian.yacy.net/ [archive]
- http://www.yacy-websuche.de/wiki/index.php/En:DebianInstall [archive]
- http://debian.yacy.net/yacy_orbiter_key.asc [archive]
- The YaCy homepage states that OpenJDK8 is required for Linux, while the install instructions point to OpenJDK7. If problems are experienced, then try installing OpenJDK8 [archive] which is available as an experimental package.
- https://phabricator.whonix.org/T291#5252 [archive]
- https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/10419#comment:37 [archive]
- Except in the case of YaCy, which needs internet access.
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! Read, understand and agree to Conditions for Contributions to Whonix ™, then Edit! Edits are held for moderation.
Copyright (C) 2012 - 2019 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP. Whonix ™ is a trademark. Whonix ™ is a licensee [archive] of the Open Invention Network [archive]. Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Freedom Software license as Whonix ™ itself. (Why?)