Whonix ™ Census
Whonix ™ User Count Statistic
Table: Whonix ™ Project Metrics
|Daily Whonix-Gateway ™ Users|
|15 March 2019||3,682|
|24 August 2019||4,107|
|17 October 2019||4,446|
|8 February 2020||5,326|
|31 March 2020||5,887|
|01 March 2021||8,236|
User count is manually updated every now and then. Low priority.
daily Whonix-Gateway ™
- Total amount of Whonix ™ users: The total number of Whonix ™ is probably higher than the number of daily Whonix-Gateway ™ users.
- New day, still running, new count: A Whonix-Gateway ™ that runs longer than 1 day (24 hours) will re-fetch Whonix ™ warrant canary and therefore be counted again.
- New day, new boot, new count: A Whonix-Gateway ™ that has not been run for longer than 1 day (24 hours) will re-fetch Whonix ™ warrant canary and therefore be counted again.
- Duplication: Users using multiple Whonix-Gateway ™ are counted multiple times. There is no probably no way to avoid that with the current design (see next chapter).
- Non-Duplication: Boots are not explicitly counted. Counting every user every time a Whonix-Gateway ™ is booted would lead to less accurate results since many users start and shutdown their computers multiple times per day.
- Non-Live: Live users are not counted.
Whonix ™ User Count Design
There are strict requirements for the Whonix ™ user count:
- No private information transferred at all.
- No unique identifiers of any kind.
- No IP addresses are ever collected. 
- Count only once within 24 hours.
- Can be easily disabled.
- By-product of, and based on whonixcheck's automated Warrant Canary Check which downloads and verifies Whonix ™ warrant canary.
- Download over Tor.
- Download using Whonix ™ Tor onion v3 service.
- Similar to sdwdate fetching time from onion time sources.
- Security: See, same as Warrant Canary Check.
- Inspired by Clean Insights (Privacy-Preserving Measurement) [archive] by Guardian Project [archive], Matomo [archive] (formerly Piwik, is a free and open source web analytics application), Tor Metrics [archive], Tails boot statistics [archive], Prio [archive] (Private, Robust, and Scalable Computation of Aggregate Statistics) by Stanford University, Privacy-Preserving Telemetry [archive] by Mozilla.
- For further details, see Warrant Canary Check.
Rationale for Whonix ™ User Count
- Feedback for maintainers of Whonix ™ if the number of Whonix ™ users increases over time.
- Some people decide based on impact to which project these would like to contribute.
- Capability to answer questions such as does Whonix ™ have more users than lets say for example a project which was founded a year ago.
- Comparison of number of users of Tor, Tails, Whonix ™.
- Users can decide if these would like to share the same Fingerprint as 100 or thousands of other users.
- Web and network fingerprint considerations.
- Data is available already anyhow through whonixcheck's automated verification of Whonix ™ warrant canary. 
Disable Whonix ™ User Count
See whonixcheck wiki page chapters
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! Read, understand and agree to Conditions for Contributions to Whonix ™, then Edit! Edits are held for moderation. Policy of Whonix Website and Whonix Chat and Policy On Nonfreedom Software applies.
Copyright (C) 2012 - 2021 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP. Whonix ™ is a trademark. Whonix ™ is a licensee [archive] of the Open Invention Network [archive]. Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Freedom Software license as Whonix ™ itself. (Why?)
The personal opinions of moderators or contributors to the Whonix ™ project do not represent the project as a whole.