Manually Downloading Tor Browser
Note: From Whonix ™ 14, Firefox-ESR is no longer installed by default and must be manually installed via Whonix-Workstation ™ Konsole for these instructions.
- Non-Whonix ™ Platforms: If Firefox is available and Tor Browser is to be installed on a non-Whonix ™ platform, proceed to Manually Download and Install Tor Browser. Otherwise, first install Firefox on the respective platform and configure the setting for clearnet onion connections, if desired.
- Whonix: If Tor Browser is not installed, then it can be downloaded by using Firefox-ESR. Only complete this action for downloading Tor Browser and nothing else.
Install Firefox-ESR Web Browser
1. Install Firefox-ESR.
In Whonix-Workstation ™ Konsole, run.
sudo apt-get install firefox-esr
2. Configure clearnet onion service connections.
If users intend to connect to the Tor Project's onion service to download Tor Browser, then adjust the following Firefox-ESR setting to permit these connections.
In Firefox address bar:
I accept the risk! →
toggle to false.
Qubes Users Notice
Qubes-Whonix ™ note:
- AppVM: The following instructions should be run in
- TemplateVM: Tor Browser upgrades in the
whonix-ws-15 TemplateVM are only inherited by newly created AppVMs. In addition, Tor Browser must be stored in /var/cache/tb-binary/.tb rather than /home/user/.tb. For further information, see Qubes-specific Tor Browser issues.
To use standard Tor Project servers rather than onion services in these instructions, substitute the links below:
Manually Download and Install Tor Browser
- Navigate to http://rqef5a5mebgq46y5.onion [archive] and download Tor Browser and the associated (
.asc) file signature. Store it in
- Read http://expyuzz4wqqyqhjn.onion/docs/signing-keys.html [archive] to learn which PGP keys sign which packages.
- Read http://expyuzz4wqqyqhjn.onion/docs/verifying-signatures.html [archive] and learn how to perform GPG verification. Download and import the necessary keys.
- Verify the Tor Browser download.
- Navigate to
/home/user/.tb with the file manger. Dolphin example:
Show Hidden Files
- If the old version of Tor Browser is still open, close it.
- Rename the old
/home/user/.tb/tor-browser to something else.
- Extract Tor Browser:
Right-click on the downloaded archive →
extract archive here
- The process is complete.
- To start Tor Browser:
- If intending to use a graphical user interface: Start Tor Browser from the start menu.
- If intending to use a terminal, run the following command.
Note on platform support:
Jobs in USA
Search engines: YaCy | Qwant | ecosia | MetaGer | peekier | Whonix ™ Wiki
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! Read, understand and agree to Conditions for Contributions to Whonix ™, then Edit! Edits are held for moderation. Policy of Whonix Website and Whonix Chat and Policy On Nonfreedom Software applies.
Copyright (C) 2012 - 2020 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP. Whonix ™ is a trademark. Whonix ™ is a licensee [archive] of the Open Invention Network [archive]. Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Freedom Software license as Whonix ™ itself. (Why?)
Whonix ™ is a derivative of and not affiliated with Debian [archive]. Debian is a registered trademark [archive] owned by Software in the Public Interest, Inc [archive].
Whonix ™ is produced independently from the Tor® [archive] anonymity software and carries no guarantee from The Tor Project [archive] about quality, suitability or anything else.