- Non-Whonix ™ Platforms: If Firefox is available and Tor Browser is to be installed on a non-Whonix ™ platform, proceed to Download and Install Tor Browser. Otherwise, first install Firefox on the respective platform and configure the setting for clearnet onion connections, if desired.
- Whonix ™: If Tor Browser is not installed, then it can be downloaded by using Firefox-ESR. Only complete this action for downloading Tor Browser and nothing else.
Manually Downloading Tor Browser
Install Firefox-ESR Web Browser
1. If a functional browser is already available, this browser installation chapter can be skipped.
2. Note: Firefox-ESR is used as en example here. Any browser should work.
3. Install Firefox-ESR.
In Whonix-Workstation ™ Konsole, run.
4. Optional: Configure clearnet onion service connections.
If users intend to connect to the Tor Project's onion service to download Tor Browser, then adjust the following Firefox-ESR setting to permit these connections.
In Firefox address bar:
I accept the risk! →
toggle to false.
Download and Install Tor Browser
Qubes-Whonix ™ note:
- App Qube: The following instructions should be run in
- Template: Tor Browser upgrades in the
whonix-ws-16Template are only inherited by newly created App Qube. In addition, Tor Browser must be stored in folder
/var/cache/tb-binary/.tbrather than in folder
/home/user/.tb. For further information, see Qubes-specific Tor Browser issues.
- Make sure folder
/home/user/.tbexists.mkdir --parents /home/user/.tb
- Navigate to https://www.torproject.org/download/ (.onion) and download Tor Browser and the associated file signature (
.asc). Store it in folder
- Read https://support.torproject.org/tbb/how-to-verify-signature/
and learn how to perform digital software signature verification ("
gpg"). Download and import the necessary keys.
- Perform digital software signature verification for the Tor Browser download.
- Navigate to folder
/home/user/.tbwith a file manger. Thunar example:
Show Hidden Files
- If the old version of Tor Browser is still open, close it.
- If there already is a folder
/home/user/.tb/tor-browser, rename the old
/home/user/.tb/tor-browserto something else.
- Extract Tor Browser:
Right-click on the downloaded archive→
extract archive here
- The process is complete.
- To start Tor Browser: 
- If intending to use a graphical user interface: Start Tor Browser from the start menu.
- If intending to use a terminal, run the following command.