Tor Browser: Manual Download
Tor Browser Downloader (by Whonix developers) can be used to re-install Tor Browser.
Manually downloading Tor Browser is also possible, which is documented on this wiki page. This might useful in case Tor Browser Downloader is ever broken.
- Non-Whonix Platforms: If Firefox is available and Tor Browser is to be installed on a non-Whonix platform, proceed to Download and Install Tor Browser. Otherwise, first install Firefox on the respective platform and configure the setting for clearnet onion connections, if desired.
- Whonix: If Tor Browser is not installed, then it can be downloaded by using Firefox-ESR. Only complete this action for downloading Tor Browser and nothing else.
Manually Downloading Tor Browser
Install Firefox-ESR Web Browser
1. Is a functional browser already available?
- If yes: This browser installation chapter can be skipped.
- If no: A functional browser is recommended to be installed to able to follow further instructions.
2. Note: Firefox-ESR is used as en example here. Any browser should work.
3. Install Firefox-ESR.
In Whonix-Workstation terminal, run.
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
B. Install the
apt command line parameter
--no-install-recommends is in most cases optional.
sudo apt install --no-install-recommends firefox-esr
The procedure of installing package(s)
firefox-esr is complete.
4. Optional: Configure clearnet onion service connections.
If users intend to connect to the Tor Project's onion service to download Tor Browser, then adjust the following Firefox-ESR setting to permit these connections.
In Firefox address bar:
I accept the risk! →
toggle to false.
Browser installation completed. Please proceed with instructions below.
Download and Install Tor Browser
- Make sure folder
/home/user/.tbexists. mkdir --parents /home/user/.tb
- Navigate to
and download Tor Browser and the associated file signature (
.asc). Store it in folder
and learn how to perform digital software signature verification ("
gpg"). Download and import the necessary keys.
- Perform digital software signature verification for the Tor Browser download.
- Navigate to folder
/home/user/.tbwith a file manger. Thunar example:
Show Hidden Files
- If the old version of Tor Browser is still open, close it.
- If there already is a folder
/home/user/.tb/tor-browser, rename the old
/home/user/.tb/tor-browserto something else.
- Extract Tor Browser:
Right-click on the downloaded archive→
extract archive here
- The process is complete.
- To start Tor Browser: 
- If intending to use a graphical user interface: Start Tor Browser from the start menu.
- If intending to use a terminal, run the following command.