Why is the Default Username "user" and Password "changeme"?
Because 'technically' there is "no installation". Whonix ™ images are pre-installed operating system images. The history of Whonix ™ is that we started to ship downloadable VM images. What you might perceive as installation process, for example VirtualBox import is "not an installation". It is the same for any VM image that would be imported. There is no feature in virtualizers that would allow to inject code to do things at this stage. The code running for importing the images is solely by the virtualizer and modifying that would be non-trivial and require to maintain a fork of the virtualizer. To add such code on the operating system that hosts Whonix ™ would be non-trivial and operating system specific. It would require to mount and modify the images. Too unimportant to put any effort into it. Would probably result in more bugs, and confusion, than what we have now. I see Qubes(-Whonix ™) as the evolution of this, since there are no passwords there.
For further information, refer to this forum discussion: Whonix installation from default password to user password [archive].
Where are the 32-bit Whonix ™ Builds?
Why is KVM Recommended over VirtualBox?
- VirtualBox does not meet the definition of Free Software;
- the parent company Oracle has poor security practices -- serious bugs have remained unpatched for an extended period; and
- significant VirtualBox functionality is only available as a proprietary extension.
To learn more, see: Why Use KVM Over VirtualBox?
Why is Qubes Recommended over other Virtualizers?
In summary, Qubes:
- runs a bare-metal virtualizer (Xen) and isolates hardware controllers and multiple user domains (qubes) in separate VMs that are explicitly assigned different levels of trust;
- has an advanced separation / least privilege design;
- provides better hardware and protocol protection than software compartmentalization;
- provides significant networking protection;
- allows advanced security features like Disposable VMs, secure copy / paste operations between VMs, secure copying and transfer of files between VMs, and sanitization of PDFs and images;
- can tunnel the whole system more easily through Tor;
- enables multiple Whonix-Workstation ™ AppVMs to easily use the same Whonix-Gateway ™ ProxyVM without being able to make contact with one another; and
- is easier to install and has better performance.
To learn more, see:
- Why use Qubes over other Virtualizers?
- Forum: Qubes-Whonix Security Disadvantages - Help Wanted! [archive]
- From Whonix ™ 14 onward.
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! Read, understand and agree to Conditions for Contributions to Whonix ™, then Edit! Edits are held for moderation. Policy of Whonix Website and Whonix Chat and Policy On Nonfreedom Software applies.
Copyright (C) 2012 - 2020 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP. Whonix ™ is a trademark. Whonix ™ is a licensee [archive] of the Open Invention Network [archive]. Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Freedom Software license as Whonix ™ itself. (Why?)