Tunnel UDP over Tor
This tutorial uses OpenVPN and works well inside Whonix ™. Additional VPN implementations like PPTP might be useful -- as well as other VPN protocols which are free and support UDP -- but further research is required.
Before setting up the VPN:
- Refer to related VPN documentation: How to connect to Tor before a VPN (User -> Tor -> VPN -> Internet).
- Familiarize yourself with curl and rdate. The rdate command line switch
-presults in just showing the date and time, without setting it.
-uuses UDP instead of TCP (the default).
This method is currently undocumented. In theory, SSH servers could be utilized to tunnel UDP over Tor. Obstacles:
- Free SSH services are rarely available.
- The existing free SSH services block certain ports, which makes this even harder.
- Even though SSH can provide a SOCKS5 proxy, it is not capable of providing tunneling support for UDP itself.
- Extra software needs to be installed on both the client and (even worse) the server with root access. Most administrators of free SSH services will not allow this configuration.
- Acquiring a server comes with its own challenges.
Therefore this method is only useful if you have your own server, but even then the VPN method is usually preferable.
SOCKS5 Proxy Method
Footnotes / References
- While enforcing SSL.
- Alternatively the test can be run without enforcing SSL because some VPN services appear to block it.
UWT_DEV_PASSTHROUGH=1 curl http://check.torproject.org
No user support in comments. See Support.
Comments will be deleted after some time. Specifically after comments have been addressed in form of wiki enhancements. See Wiki Comments Policy.
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! Read, understand and agree to Conditions for Contributions to Whonix ™, then Edit! Edits are held for moderation.
Copyright (C) 2012 - 2019 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP. Whonix ™ is a trademark. Whonix ™ is a licensee of the Open Invention Network. Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Freedom Software license as Whonix ™ itself. (Why?)