Access Local Network, Host or Clearnet Internet from VM
(Redirected from Access Local Network or Host from VM)
File Transfer might be a far simpler alternative.
The following example uses
ssh, but it could be replaced with something else.
ssh is utilized, its setup on the host (such as public key setup) and related issues are out of scope for this documentation and are considered prerequisite knowledge. This wiki chapter is focused on connectivity and not server configuration details.
- These instructions only apply to Whonix-Gateway ™.
- Whonix-Workstation ™ is currently Undocumented. It would likely require a complex setup and pose a high risk of clearnet leaks; see footnote.  Instead of using these instructions it is recommended to consider SSH / SSHFS (ssh file system) into Whonix-Gateway ™, SSH / SSHFS into Whonix-Workstation ™, and SSHFS into Whonix-Workstation ™.
On the Host
Install the server software. Note:
ssh is used as an example but can be replaced with alternatives.
Inside the VM
Install the client software. Note:
openssh-client is used as an example but can be replaced with alternatives.
- A configured host firewall might block connections to the service.
It would probably require:
- Less safe: enabling IP forwarding inside Whonix-Gateway ™; or
- Safer: Opening an Incoming Port on Whonix-Gateway ™ Firewall and running some kind of proxy software in Whonix-Gateway ™ with user
clearnetthat permits forwarding to host, local area network or clearnet Internet.